| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp Settings for the Best Sound and Tone?
Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. Dec. 10th 1954 Reside in City of Mentor, in Northeast Oh.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2024 4:05 am    

Greetings to all…I’ll try my best to make this Understandable & Quick…
My name is Jeffery Mercer, I’ve Been a member of this Wonderful Community for about 6-7 years, now (may be even longer at 69 my memory isn’t all that great) plus the fact that unlike Clinton…I did INHALE!
I love Pedal Steel Guitar, now having said that, I want my Pedal Steel to sound as great as it can when being played, I realize that a lot of sounding good has to do with your equipment, and your knowledge of your instrument, such as touch and feel, The amp I’m using with my steel is the Boss Amp that I purchased when they first came on the scene, it has 2 X 12” Spkrs. and pushes around 100 watts, what I’m lookin for is another Steel player who uses the same type amp, and can give me some direction as far as my settings go such as treble, bass, reverb, delay, all that good stuff,
I’m basically a bedroom player (as I’m just learning) I’ve got great equipment right down to my stainless Steel Hoffmeyer finger Picks! BJS TONEBARS, Zirconia Tonebar, mogambi cords, you get the picture…please can someone help me with my amp settings ?
Thanks, ( I now await yer thoughts, suggestions, butt chewing) what ever you can offer!
Jeff Mercer in Mentor Oh, on the Lake Erie Shores!

* Guys, I want you to know that I Sincerely Appreciate all of your, input, the sharing of your wisdom & Knowledge, your licks, your advice, your all a great and Beautiful, Wonderful Group of Guys(and Gals) what I appreciate the most from all of you is your Dedication, Kindness, your Patience, and Longsuffering with us New guys who constantly ask you questions, and for advice…God Bless everyone of you!
Jeff

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2024 5:56 am    

Jeffery, many of us roll off the mid range on our amps. Peavey has 2 knobs for this. One specifies the frequency; the other cuts or boosts in that frequency range.

Try setting bass and treble "neutral" and scooping out the mids. Too much mid makes the instrument sound "honky," in my opinion.

(I play a Carter through a 112.)
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2024 8:45 am    

If you do a search for "Boss" or "Katana" in the Electronics section, you will find several discussions about the amp and settings like the one below:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=343567&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=boss&start=0
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 6:48 am    

Hi Jeffery,

I have both , Boss Katana 100 Mk11 and Peavey Nashville 112. I use the Acoustic rather the clean setting on the Boss. Then I make all the adjustments for my tone requirements based on my ear and venue. The Nashville 112 is adjusted more on the mids and gain controls. I think a lot of responses will include personal preferences so make these adjustments based on yours..

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2024 4:44 pm    

Hi Jeffrey,
For the best tone to YOUR ears, put your guitar at a comfortable volume level, turn all the tone knobs to 0, & one by one turn up each knob individually starting with treble, mid then bass until each parameter sounds good to your ears. The amp tone should be close, but play it some incase you might need to slightly tweak them.
I've done this during all my time playing 6 string & steel and get a lot of complements on my tone.
Many other pro players I know do the same.
Just a thought for you.
Best,
Pat
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2024 6:06 am     Re: Amp Settings for the Best Sound and Tone?

Jeffery Mercer wrote:
Greetings to all…I’ll try my best to make this Understandable & Quick…
My name is Jeffery Mercer, I’ve Been a member of this Wonderful Community for about 6-7 years, now (may be even longer at 69 my memory isn’t all that great) plus the fact that unlike Clinton…I did INHALE!
I love Pedal Steel Guitar, now having said that, I want my Pedal Steel to sound as great as it can when being played, I realize that a lot of sounding good has to do with your equipment, and your knowledge of your instrument, such as touch and feel, The amp I’m using with my steel is the Boss Amp that I purchased when they first came on the scene, it has 2 X 12” Spkrs. and pushes around 100 watts, what I’m lookin for is another Steel player who uses the same type amp, and can give me some direction as far as my settings go such as treble, bass, reverb, delay, all that good stuff,
I’m basically a bedroom player (as I’m just learning) I’ve got great equipment right down to my stainless Steel Hoffmeyer finger Picks! BJS TONEBARS, Zirconia Tonebar, mogambi cords, you get the picture…please can someone help me with my amp settings ?
Thanks, ( I now await yer thoughts, suggestions, butt chewing) what ever you can offer!
Jeff Mercer in Mentor Oh, on the Lake Erie Shores!

* Guys, I want you to know that I Sincerely Appreciate all of your, input, the sharing of your wisdom & Knowledge, your licks, your advice, your all a great and Beautiful, Wonderful Group of Guys(and Gals) what I appreciate the most from all of you is your Dedication, Kindness, your Patience, and Longsuffering with us New guys who constantly ask you questions, and for advice…God Bless everyone of you!
Jeff

Jeff
a seven or ten band eq pedal in the effects loop adds a lot of additional tone shaping. I also have a three band parametric eq pedal as well that’s great for surgically honing in on any certain frequencies I might want to cut or boost. Ice picky high frequency for instance.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!