| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ship Amp with Exposed Handle?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 8:48 am    

Anybody ever do this? I've sent and been sent steel guitars this way, but never an amplifier.

Peavey style strap handle. Not suitcase or dogbone type.

Whaddya think? Good idea/bad idea? No idea?

Medium sized amp app 24x20x14 boxed. App. 45#.
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 8:57 am     Yes

I've done it many times. It cuts down on the number of "tosses".
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 11:15 am    

Yes, and I keep the guitar case handle usable when shipping a guitar. Delivery guys appreciate it and so does the guitar and amp.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 12:19 pm    

Also curious how the shipper views the insurance coverage? With a cutout for the handle, it wouldn't be 100% enclosed within the packaging?
Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 12:25 pm    

Jerry: I ship all my stuff that way. I figure it keeps them upright while traveling. The shipper has never said anything negative about it so I’ll continue to do it.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 3:48 pm    

I shipped an empty 2x15 Fender speaker cabinet from Colorado to Ontario with the handle exposed for use. It arrived safely. Of course the rest of the packing has to be robust. I taped a thin rectangle of hardboard over the speaker grill to protect it.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2024 5:18 pm    

Guess it worked OK. I didn't get any negative feedback from either end.
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2024 6:36 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Guess it worked OK. I didn't get any negative feedback from either end.

Jerry
I used to ship all mine via Greyhound bus with handle out. They did the most amazing job shipping amps of anyone. Amp went under the bus exactly like a musician’s tour bus and at any switching points the bus it switched to pulled up next to the bus it was on and it was hand transferred. Never ever had an issue with damage. Amp didn’t have to swap delivery vehicles at twenty different hubs nor get tossed off semi trailers or go on conveyor belts etc….less human handling. And they ran a TIGHT TIGHT SCHEDULE..buyer meets bus at final destination and driver unloaded it by hand and those busses arrived within ten minutes one way or the other from scheduled arrival time.
Unfortunately Greyhound cut out their shipping service a year ago or so.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2024 6:52 am     Handle

Hey Jerry,I asked UPS ,to leave handle exposed on amp ,and they said no👍
Lh
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2024 7:38 am    

Yeah, well I guess it varies by freight carrier. I personally don't see their reasoning. Seems like it would make it easier for everybody, but maybe that's their policy.

OTOH, I received a 65# D10 with just minimal cardboard wrapping, but all padded inside from Texas with the handle exposed shipped to me via Fedex. No issues with the guitar and no damage to the handle.

When I shipped the amp, I told the FedEx agent about the exposed handle. They didn't really say anything positive or negative but it arrived safely. I always wrap the entire item in a large HD leaf disposal bag to protect the contents from getting wet also.

I asked Charlie Stepp of Derby Steel about shipping guitars with the handle exposed. He was adamant about not doing it. He said the handler will use the handle as leverage to sling the thing around and there's a possibility of the handle being ripped off left exposed. I believe UPS was his freight agent.

Anyway, no issues with my amp shipment via FedEx who is all I use for large freight transport.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2024 4:58 am    

To avoid problems when using handle cut outs, I always added an extra thickness of heavy cardboard to the inside of the top of the package so that the strap handle would remain recessed unless specifically raised for transport by the workers/delivery driver.