| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An Emmons PP from Buddy Charleton
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 12:00 pm    

I was just informed that this was personal Buddy's guitar, which he sold to the student of his back in 1985 , I got the guitar in trade deal for one of my guitars... if anyone has any videos of Buddy playing this guitar, please let me know ....

Moderator note - see my post below dated 6/22/24 for context.

Olney Maryland Mongomery
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 6:25 am    

I would like to see some proof that Buddy Charleton own this guitar after all he hated RED! and told me he would never buy a red guitar,
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 6:55 am    

I don’t have any proof, gentleman I got this guitar from said he was Buddy’s student, and he got it from Buddy back in 1985, I don’t see why would he find necessary to fabricate the story like that, especially since he just told me that couple days ago, and I have guitar already for awhile... this is a good price for this instrument, regardless of who owned it in the past, I just thought it was a interesting story to add with the guitar, a little history...

Olney Maryland Mongomery
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 12:54 pm    

OK I understand he got it from the shop that buddy give lesson at in 1985. Not Buddy guitar!
Paul Awalt

Greenwich, Ct.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 1:49 pm    

Paul has been a friend and a student of Buddy's prior to me when I took lessons from Buddy in his shop near D.C. in the late 80's. Paul is a perfectionist when it comes to steel guitar rebuilding and conditioning. I never have heard of this guitar from Buddy. If anyone would know of this being Buddy's guitar it would be Paul. I agree not Buddy's guitar.
Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 2:19 pm     Emmons

Just to clear the air.I was with the guy when he bought it from Buddy.He also has the last Guitar that Buddy Had and played.This guy has no reason to lie.He himself is a top notch player and a straight up guy so put it to rest.It was bought from Buddy Charleton.
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.

Last edited by Gary Hamblin on 25 Nov 2018 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 2:35 pm     Emmons

The last guitar that Buddy played was a Black 1966 Bolt On.Billy Knowles had this guitar.If you need the facts just call Dave Legg(410-708-7140)He is the guy that bought the Red guitar and has the last one.
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 2:45 pm    

thanks for clearing this up Gary, nothing like “experts” coming out of the woods with their “facts” ... if I only knew, I wouldn’t even mention Buddy lol

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2024 5:54 am    

This thread apparently got split to the Admin section (not by me) from this For Sale thread - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=336997 - I assume by b0b because this discussion was undermining both Damir's credibility and his ability to sell the guitar. I was involved at the time - not as a moderator, but as a potential buyer - and I eventually wound up buying the guitar.

I'm moving this thread to Pedal Steel because it represents a discussion of the history of this guitar. I have since sold it, and I think the new owner deserves to see the actual discussion about its origin. I stated in my For Sale thread that it was described as being Buddy Charleton's guitar, but that I couldn't verify that because I couldn't find this discussion - well here it is, buried deep in the Admin section (y'all can't see that).

I think Gary Hamblin's replies make it very clear that it was, in fact, bought from Buddy, apparently when Buddy was still alive. Whether or not it was actually his personal guitar that he played, I don't think can be factually discerned from this. Maybe this can be clarified.

I don't think it's a good idea to stifle this type of "discussion of the facts". But I think it would have been much better to do this in a separate thread in the correct section - Pedal Steel. Damir represented the guitar faithfully to me in every respect as far as he knew it, including his understanding of the trace of ownership and any lacquer checking or other cosmetic flaws. It is nonetheless, IMO, an excellent, strikingly good looking, vintage steel that after playing it for a few years, unfortunately confirmed that I am apparently not a push-pull guy. If I couldn't bond with this push-pull, I guess it just ain't gonna happen - I've had eight, LOL. Gimme a ZumSteel, or a Mullen G2, or a Franklin, I guess.

This was my For Sale thread - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=399239 - so this was apparently not bought after Buddy passed, as I thought. That was MY error because I obviously remembered wrong and couldn't find the discussion to refresh my memory. Again, a good reason to let these types of discussions play out, but NOT on the For Sale thread. IMO, the truth deserves to be fully vetted. That is why I'm re-releasing this section of the thread.

BTW - the title was created by whomever moved this thread to Admin. I think it still fits.
Robert Herr

Willow Street,Pa
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2024 7:55 am     Buddy’s Guitar

Dave Legg and myself were taking lessons from Buddy around the same time. I see Dave often and we talk about him buying the guitar and the history behind him buying it.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 5:32 pm    

I remember that guitar very well, it is a fantastic instrument , with tons of mojo, guitar was priced fairly, and I thought Buddy story just added little bit of interesting history to it .. i stopped getting involved too much on the forum , because of all the “experts” and drama queens , I just don’t have time , nor am I interested in arguing over nothing for that matter

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 6:41 pm    

Yup, Damir - it is a great push-pull. Classic 70s lacquer with wood necks and bolt-on changer. Neither of us made a big deal out of the Charleton connection, but I think it's important for people to understand that it actually was, in fact, bought from Buddy. As you say, an interesting historical fact. And I know it's in good hands now.