| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody add a second RKL lever?
Nick Krol

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 9:24 am    

For years I had RKL raise 1 a whole/2 a half and lower 6 a whole tone. It would tend to get in the way of getting that root note on the 6th string with pedals down but I just worked around it.

I recently switched the 6 whole tone lower to a 7 whole tone raise with feel stops on the G notes on both 1 and 7. This opens up a lot of possibilities and I love the change.

I do sometimes miss having the 6 lower on that knee and how it allows really smooth changes between I IV V V7 chords without moving the bar or changing strings. I put the 6 lower on P4 which is better than nothing but it can't be as smooth.

Has anyone put a 2nd RKL? It seems uncomfortable but for a change I'm only missing sometimes it could be fine.

I've also thought about going with a Crawford cluster and putting it on one of those extra knees but that would involve moving the E lower to the right knee and basically relearning all the knee lever muscle memory.

thoughts?

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 9:29 am    

I've got 2 RKLs on both my D10s. RKV too! (back neck only)

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 9:34 am    

Scott,

Do you find it difficult to access the extra right knee changes and keep the volume pedal consistent? I can't imagine a RKV change

I'd love to see some pictures of your knee lever setups on your Legrande

Thanks!

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 10:09 am    

no difficulty at all Nick. the two levers are so close to each other that the shift between them is barely discernible. I did have to attach a flag to the extra RKL on my JCH to make it easier to use.

here's a somewhat grainy shot of the Legrande and one I just took of the JCH for comparison:

Kelcey O'Neil at Emmons expertly installed the extra RKL on the JCH and the RKV on both guitars. I'm a 2-footer on C6, don't use much volume pedal. it's physically impossible to use the RKV and volume pedal at the same time which is why it only works the back neck Winking

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 11:11 am    

I tried a RKL, but didn't like gunching forward and back and having to concentrate on keeping the volume pedal smooth. So, I added a LKR. I have 4 knees on the left side. However, my Eb lever is RKR. F lever is RKL
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 3:08 pm    

Nick

I'd suggest going back to your original configuration of RKL raising the 1st and 2nd strings, and also lowering the 6th string.

Then on your RKR,same RKR lever where you probably now lower your 2nd string 1/2 tone and then a Whole tone....add the 7th string Raise......

Then you'd have best of Both worlds..
..and maintain your familiar 6th string whole tone drop on your RKL.

Ron
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2024 7:40 pm    

I use two RKL's and have for about 25 years.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.