| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Wayne Hobbs
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2024 12:17 pm    

I just got a call letting me know that our friend and super picker Wayne Hobbs passed away today after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

Please keep his family in your prayers.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2024 1:14 pm    

Bill Ferguson got it right! Wayne was a super picker and he was a super person...one of the finest men I have ever known. He was a wonderful friend and he will be sorely missed.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2024 3:33 pm    

May his memory be a blessing. Sympathies to this friends and family.
Dale Thompson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2024 1:52 am    

A great player and a great person. R.I.P Wayne.
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2024 2:20 pm    

Oh no.. go rest high on that mountain my dear friend, you have earned it..😞
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Ron Lykins

Willard,Oh USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 3:09 am     Wayne Hobbs

Wow, I was totally shocked to hear of Wayne's passing. I just text him a week ago and didn't a reply. I had no idea he was sick. Wayne told me lots of stories about his playing with Marty Robbins and rooming with Paul Franklin in there early years. For the last few years he never used any effects. He got a great sound. I still have a bottle of his Sticky Picks. I will miss watching him play & talking with him. God bless him and his family.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 11:26 am    

William Gothard wrote:
Wayne was a friend and lived in New Carlisle, OH around the corner from my mother. Here is Wayne’s obituary:

George Wayne Hobbs, known as Wayne, 72, of New Carlisle, Ohio went to be with the Lord on June 10, 2024, surrounded by loved ones at home. He was born on September 28, 1951, in Coeburn, Virginia to the late George “Red” & Gladys Hobbs. Work brought his family to New Carlisle and Wayne later graduated from Tecumseh High School, class of 1969. His two passions in his early years were baseball and music. He played in a band, Piecemen, with his dad and brother Jim in the area. Wayne chose to pursue a career in music playing the steel guitar, right out of High School and never looked back. In his over 50 years as a musician, he has played with, Connie Smith, Barbara Mandrell, Don Hoe, The Forester Sisters, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Anderson, Marty Robbins, on Hee Haw, and at The Grand Ole Opry, and for presidents, Gerald Ford & George H.W. Bush, and many others. He recorded Time Piece on the Wall, and Desert of Love in 1963, which you can hear on YouTube. He enjoyed the outdoors, fishing, horseback riding, and spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren. Wayne was a member of Crossroads Baptist Church. Wayne will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. He is survived by his wife of 22 years, Terry Hobbs; children Gary Hobbs-Witte, Gina Hobbs-Witte, Joshua Baumann (Lasha) & Michael Cottle (Shanda); siblings Robert Hobbs, James Hobbs (Barbara) & Margaret Holloway (Ed); grandchildren, Cammi, Abbi & Peyton; and many aunts, uncles, cousins and dear friends. Along with his parents, Wayne is preceded in death by his grandson Rylan & infant sister Betty Ann Hobbs. He will always be remembered for greeting everyone with and smile on his face and a warm hug. Visitation will be held at Crossroads Baptist Church, 9903 W. National Rd., New Carlisle, on Tuesday, visitation from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm with the memorial service to follow at 6:00 pm. Expressions of sympathy may be made at trostelchapman.com

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 2:50 pm    

Saddened to become aware of this terrible news.

Wayne Hobbs performed at the Mt Vernon IL show a few years ago and knocked me out with his personal charisma, stage presence, excellent technique & tone, and choice of materials not typically heard at Steel Guitar Shows.

Sympathies to Family and Friends
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2024 7:18 pm    

Oh no! Wayne was young! Great pedal steeler and good, kind and sweet soul.
Rip dear friend and compadre.
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 12:56 pm    

I was not ready for this news. It's been a year or two since I've seen Wayne play, but he looked great. I would've never guessed he'd be gone so soon.

This is a huge loss for our local area (Dayton, OH). Ever since I began playing on the scene here, I've heard his name. Whether it was musicians I would meet, or bands I would play with, or studio sessions I would do... Once people learn that I'm a steel guitarist, at least 75% of the time I get asked "Do you know Wayne Hobbs?". In my time, he has definitely been THE "go-to" steel guy in these parts. Everyone who mentioned him had either played a gig with him, hired him to play on an album, or seen him play somewhere.

I first met Wayne at a steel show he was playing. I already knew of him through a guitar player I had known for a long time. At the show, I was quickly drawn to his playing since he was a very proficient jazz player, and the other guys in the show weren't playing hardly any jazz at all (...maybe things close like "Night Life", but nobody was tearing up any Charlie Parker). I asked if he would do lessons, but he said he typically stayed too busy. That was definitely the case, because every time I saw him play a show, he always had to quickly pack up to go play somewhere else. He played so smooth, yet was so humble. He was one of those players who, if you looked at his face and state of relaxation you would've guessed he was only playing about a third of the notes you were hearing... But, if you looked closely at his picking hand it would add up.

Memories of his shows will always be a part of my musical inspiration. I guess I was always hoping that at some point we would sit down and jam for a few hours. But, I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I decided to post these things because it is easy to find a list of his major career highlights, but I wanted others to know just how big of a deal he was locally in recent years.

Thanks for everything Wayne, we will all miss you.
Lonnie Wells

The Buckeye State
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 12:33 pm    

So sad to hear this. Wayne and I became friends a few years ago when I met him at the Bluebird Senior Facility in London, Ohio. We were there visiting my wife's mother.

Wayne was there every other month or so to play for the seniors. He had a nice show playing a lot of different types of songs and also providing vocals.

I talked with Wayne just a few months ago and he told me about his health issues. Wayne was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. I know he is now at peace with the Lord.
Rest in peace my friend.

Prayers sent for wife and family.
Franklin

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 6:44 pm    

This is heartbreaking! Wayne was a kind sweet soul along with being a great steel guitarist. The world was a better place with him in it...
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2024 10:07 am     This Appeared In Diane's Country Music Newsletter

Quote:
George Wayne Hobbs, 72, of New Carlisle, Ohio, died June 10, 2024, surrounded by loved ones at home, after a battle with pancreatic cancer. Born in 1951 in Virginia, he moved with his family to New Carlisle and later graduated from Tecumseh High School. His obituary says his two passions in his early years were baseball and music. He played in a local band with his dad and brother. Right out of high school, Wayne chose to pursue a career playing the steel guitar. In his over 50 years performing, he played with Connie Smith, Barbara Mandrell, Don Ho, The Forester Sisters, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Anderson, Marty Robbins, on Hee Haw, at The Grand Ole Opry, and for presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush.
Diane's newsletter also includes comments from an interview she had with Mr. Hobbs.

For those not familiar with Diane's newsletter, it is sent every two weeks and is a summary of what's newsworthy regarding people associated with country music. Diane is a member of this forum and has published country music biographies. Find out more about her newsletter here: https://dianediekman.com/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW