| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen changer "creak"
Shannon Farmer

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 7:48 am    

I've got a 2022 Mullen G2 that I've noticed started creaking on my B pedal (only). It doesn't affect tuning and really doesn't affect the playability, it's just annoying me because I know something is not right and I can't find it (and normally I can). I have a pretty good understanding of how the changer works so I know it's oiled well, It's not over tuned and there's plenty of rod slack from the changer to the bell crank. Plus, when I manually engage (push) that finger at the hex head (removing the pedal tension from the pull), it still creaks. I can also feel an ever so slight rub as it pulls and again when it returns. I am wondering if maybe the creak is a spring but the slight rub feel is what has me perplexed. Could a spring cause what feels like a rub in the changer?

Hoping one of our Mullen folks or anyone else with ideas will throw them at me. Thank so much!

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 9:32 am    

Try oiling where the pedal rod hooks up and all parts connected.

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 10:37 am    

A 'creak' could be springs. Check the raise assist spring if it's still attached, and the neighboring springs to see if something is dragging. Maybe put a little side pressure on them with a screwdriver to see if anything changes??
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 11:18 am    

Stand the guitar on its end, and push the finger with a screwdriver. That will let you confirm if the noise is coming from the changer. Noises will "telegraph" from one point to another, so check everything step by step, starting at the changer and moving back.

(I once had a squeak noise that I was sure was coming from the undercarriage or changer, but it turned out to be coming from the pedalboard bracket. Whoa! )
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 11:21 am    

My Mullen guitars would sometimes have the lower return springs drag on the stop plate. Maybe check and oil there.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 1:44 pm    

Check where the pedal rod hooks to the problem pedal. Had a weird sound in a 1974 MSA. Tracked it to the rod connector, The ball moving in the connector as the pedal was shoved down was the culprit, 1 drop of oil cured it.
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 2:37 pm    

Try loosening the return spring in the endplate for the two strings just 2 turns.
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2024 2:03 am    

Hi ,
You may have a couple of pull rods that are rubbing together due to very close proximity of each other at the bell crank.Pedalling causes the rods to slightly flex on actuation and as a result if too close they may rub and creek a little.
I had this .I just moved one of the bell cranks ever so fractionally and the creek disappeared for good.
Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 4:56 pm     Squeaking noise

I had a Carter that done that. It turned out to be the nylon tuner on the changer rod. It was very dry dry and made the noise when the pedal was depressed. A drop of oil on the Finger side of the nylon tuner solved the issue.