| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Wheeled SKB case needs clean up and re-foam [CLOSE]
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 May 2024 8:34 am    

Considering selling this wheeled SKB case I just bought from Roger. I've decided I'm going to use canvass style split gig bags for easier transport.

This case shell is in good condition with scuffs and scratches from apparent flights, handling, gigs etc. Otherwise sturdy with valances and hinges in good operating condition.

Wheels and handles for toting and rolling.

The issue is that the bottom foam deteriorated and was removed. Upper divider with straps and eggshell foam still intact.

I'm not in the mood to re-foam it so just thinking of selling it to someone else who's up to the task.

Roger's sale ad is still up with his description and photos as well.

It's bulky so interested parties please contact me by PM for discussion re: price and shipping costs to your destination.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 18 Jun 2024 1:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 May 2024 9:02 am    

On further inspection, the top case foam, above the divider is also sticky, clumpy, deteriorated and in need of removal and replacement.

Be prepared to strip, scrape and clean surfaces before adding new material.

Buyer will be required to size and install foam to fit whatever guitar you have.

Dims are app. 4 in. deep bottom and top with app. 2 in. below divider. Length is right at 36 in. width app. 13 i.d. x app. 14 in. o.d.

The existing poly end blocks are in good shape and sized for Emmons LG sized guitar with app. 33 3/4 in. between the blocks.

Shipping weight somewhere between 15 & 20#.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2024 6:57 am    

Just to clarify: you are buying the equivalent of an SKB 3611 model empty shell trap case which sells for $319 in the online stores except this one has a hinged divider for the upper compartment.

A foam package for a similar case is available from SKB for $169. This is bulk foam and would have to be sized to fit your guitar. Foam sheets, planks etc. also available from several online sources.

$125 shipped to most regions within 8, 900 miles of KY. Please contact for exact actual price with freight. Extreme distances expect added freight costs.

You don't have to buy the case foam, home improvement stores have 4x8 sheets of rigid building insulation foam from 1/2 up to 2 inches. This works fine if covered with fabric such as crushed velvet, vinyl or other materials and it's easy to cut and form with a saw or saw tooth knife.

This case sells for $319 online. Empty, without any foam and doesn't have the divider.

PM me for for information, price and condition of sale. JO.
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 9:24 am    

I'll add something to Jerry's information for the case. It looks like one of the "Wheel-eze" cases that were made by Sierra some years ago. They're SKB cases similar to the SKB cases you can buy, with one exception - they're slightly taller and wider. This is especially significant for anyone with a double neck guitar because many will no fit into the newer, and smaller, SKB's.

Also, the plastic lasts forever, and it's easy to get replacement parts for SKB wheels and latches.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2024 10:01 am    

Thanks Susan. You are correct on all counts. One of my Sierra SCM 14 SE unis came with this same case factory fitted for the 14.

I'm not sure you can even buy this exact case now.

I've received input from someone who has offered to buy this case, so it's off the market as of now.