| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Custom Built Rose 12 String Pedal Steel - New
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2024 9:08 am    

The body and end plates for this guitar were built by J.R. Rose, who lives in eastern Oklahoma, back in the early 70s. The walnut wood had been cut and rough sawn by his father-in-law in the early 50s and was stored in a barn until J.R. got it in the '70s, milled it and built a couple of bodies with it. J.R. built several guitars in the '70s but other interests got in the way and he quit building them. Fast forward to 2021 when he realized he was never going to build any more guitars so he got all of his parts and bodies together and sold them to me. This is the third steel I have finished using some of his parts, the first two were patterned after the Sho-Bud Pro1, and they turned out really well. I have my own machining equipment and I was a mechanical engineer for almost 50 years, so I designed and built all of the undercarriage parts and other parts needed.

I decided I wanted to try a 12 string with Johnny Cox's D13 tuning so I initially set this guitar up with that tuning, but I couldn't get used to that extra string in the middle of the tuning, so I gave up on that one. I then put an E9/B6 tuning on it, which I played for a few years in the '80s and early '90s, but I couldn't get used to it again after playing D10s for years, so I put an extended E9 tuning on it, and it still just doesn't feel right with the extra two strings, so I decided to sell it and stay with my 10 stringers. 

I used an MSA triple raise/triple lower changer on it which I modified to use raise helper springs to ease up the pedal/lever action a bit. I also used adjustable return springs which MSA didn't. It has MSA keyheads with Grover tuners. The pedal bar is 1/8" wall aluminum channel, but I added a 3/16" reinforcement bar on the inside to stiffen it. I only have 5 pedals on it now (the 5th pedal is the "Sigler" pedal). I use two RKLs and I have 6 levers on it now. I have all the parts for up to 8 pedals and 6 knee levers. All of those extra parts, including the pull rods would be included. The pull rods are aluminum which is easier to work with and I have had no problems using aluminum rods, even on my old MSA's. I understand Franklin guitars used aluminum pull rods for a while. The cross shafts are square and are all in nylon bushings, the bell cranks and lever mounts are easily removed and installed. The levers all have angle adjustment screws. The guitar is currently set up taller than standard, approximately 27” from the floor to the bottom of the end plates. It can be shortened or raised to whatever you require. I don't use tuneable splits, but the changer mounting plate is drilled for them on every string. The pickup is an Alumitone, my favorite pickup.

The price is $2250 with the current setup, plus shipping, a new case, leg bag, and cover is included. I will put whatever setup you want on it for a reasonable fee. I live a few miles southwest of Paris, Texas, the guitar can be shipped, or picked up in person, or I would meet up within 50 miles or so.  I accept Paypal, or a cashiers check for payment.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2024 9:44 am    

Beautiful Steel Guitar and I am sure it would sound great. The price is great too. I already have three other Steels or I would be interested. Great buy Y'all
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2024 5:58 am    

This guitar is sold.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2024 6:54 am    

I couldn't pass this up. Darvin is great to work with and he will be converting this to a 8x6 D13, Johnny Cox's current setup, for a very modest price. What a beautiful, one of a kind, work of art.