| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  question about Goodrich Matchbox
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 12:03 pm    

I have an older one, the 6A.
What kind of replacement pots are suitable ( and not suitable ) for the gain & tone controls?
Haven't used it in a couple years but would like to revive it, as it is a super handy unit.
Thanks very much.
Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 2:40 pm    

Both pots in a 6A are 500k (500,000 ohms) audio taper (also called "A" taper.) They usually start to sound scratchy after several decades, I've replaced some myself.

I usually take several photos of the wiring before I remove anything. You'll need to measure the diameter of the holes in the enclosure once you remove the original pots, chances are they're 3/8 inch. If so, this pot has a 3/8 inch bushing and should be a drop-in replacement. https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/potentiometer-bourns-audio-solid-shaft-mini

If the holes are smaller than 3/8, let us know and we can steer you to a different pot that will fit.

Also measure the shaft diameter (where the knob sits) on your original pots, they're either 6mm or 1/4 inch (just a couple of hundredths of an inch difference, but enough to make the knobs fit or not fit.) If your original pot shafts are 1/4 inch, get a couple of these adapters and your original knobs will fit the new 6mm pots above just fine. https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/potentiometer-adapter-sleeve-converts-6mm-or-18t-shaft-14

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 12:37 pm    

MIKE TRY CLEANING THE POTS FIRST, TAKE THE KNOBS OFF PUT A SMALL SHORT PLASTIC HOSE PUSH ON POT SHAFT.FILL HOSE WITH ALKHOL LET IT SEEP IN THE POT,IT MAY WORK.
David Laveau

Rocky Mountain High, CO
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 8:49 pm    

I think some recommend that you use a flush system, as mentioned above - and follow with some fader lube

Look into what's appropriate for the pot - depending on the material, different flushes are told to be better than others