| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Black Widow Baskets
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 2:33 pm    

Will an early 80's Black Widow 1503 magnet fit other Black Widow baskets?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 6:38 pm    

Not familiar with the 1503 but if it's a flat magnet spider web decal magnet like this one, it will only fit baskets from that early 80's, late 70's era. Peavey says the differences in the voice coil/gap make them incompatible with newer baskets.

Later assemblies starting with the BW Super Structure, like the one below, through current, are all interchangeable among all other BW's except the Spider Web series as far as I know.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 6:55 pm    

Are the early flat magnet baskets still available? I'm guessing they can't be found?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 7:21 pm    

Out of production for a long time. Hard to find, yes. Unless someone is hoarding some new old stock stuff. Depending on what's wrong with it, a speaker repair shop may be able to fix it if you're having a problem.
Rasmus Broegaard

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 12:00 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

Not familiar with the 1503 but if it's a flat magnet spider web decal magnet like this one, it will only fit baskets from that early 80's, late 70's era. Peavey says the differences in the voice coil/gap make them incompatible with newer baskets.

Later assemblies starting with the BW Super Structure, like the one below, through current, are all interchangeable among all other BW's except the Spider Web series as far as I know.

I know this is an old post, but I have been offered two peavey cabinets with BW 1503 "super structure" speakers in them. They are from 1982 and I cant find any information on this speaker model. Recently I fell in love with the BW 1501 flat magnet spider print ones in a friends cabinet, but they are hard to find. Have you by chance tried the 1503 super structure vs. the 1501 flat mag spider print ?

or do you think the magnet on this 1503 could be changed for a flat mag spider print?:

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 12:16 pm    

No, as I stated earlier, I don't have any experience with the 1503. It's a sound reinforcement driver and I wouldn't apply it to instrument use.

I don't think it's advisable to try and replace an SS magnet with one of the flat mag Spider mags.

The magnet's job is to develop the excursion. I wouldn't discount a Black Widow speaker from having a good sound regardless of magnet style.