| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Overdrive/Gain Pedals for PSG
Tyler Friedman

Grapevine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 2:48 pm    

Hi Everyone, long time viewer and recent member here. I've been playing PSG for a few years now and have begun to add some effects into my rig. One of the effects I've had a hard time dialing in or "Finding the right one" is an overdrive or other type of gain box. I've tried a Nobles and a tube screamer overdrive (Not together), an old bosstone fuzz and I am currently using a Paul Cochran Timmy V2. The Timmy is close to the sound in my head but I am curious to see what everyone else thinks about all the different options we have for gain.
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 3:52 pm    

Zendrive, or a clone of it. I use the Aion Azimuth.

I've never used one but a lot of people swear by the Sarno Earth Drive.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 4:16 pm    

OCD
Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 5:09 pm     od

i really like and own both the mythos olympus and the kingtone blues power. they are fantastic smooth sounding overdrives. my board has the kingtone blues power on it right now. either one works incredibly well with steel guitar. there is just a plethora of tone and controllability in either pedal.
good luck in your journey. your ears will tell you.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 6:09 pm    

Having been a no frills player for many years I'm really delighted with the new Jackson Silvertone stompbox, it is the first pedal I have ever wanted to actually build a gigging pedal board around. I'm completely hooked now and so are my bandmates, and the trusty old Vibroverb gets to stay at home. From clean classic country to shredding Elmore James and Duane Allman, it adds so much versatility to the already superb sound of my Webb and Quilter amps that after only a handful of shows I can't imagine working without it now. It is a true bypass device so I have it directly after the VP and follow it with a Keeley compressor before feeding the organ synth, chorus, delay, and reverb, so that I can set the levels for a low gain clean sound at the same level as the fully bypassed signal and with the compressor engaged I can just turn the input gain up or down as needed without having to mess with the output level from song to song.

https://jackson.audio/products/1484

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 2 Jun 2024 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 6:34 pm    

Steve Hinson wrote:
OCD

Which model of the OCD Steve?
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 7:03 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Steve Hinson wrote:
OCD

Which model of the OCD Steve?

I'm only aware of one...little white Fulltone pedal...

I know there's"v.1,v.2,etc",and I have 3 or 4 of them...one has a blue light on it...

I can't tell any difference...I'd recommend a brand new one quick as I would the oldest one...

SH
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 9:21 pm    

Thx Steve.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 4:30 am    

I like the BB Preamp by Xotic
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 4:55 am    

Steeltronics STO. Made specifically for steel guitar. I have one. Has a much more usable range than an OD made for 6 string guitar. Sounds great and has no extra noise!

https://www.steeltronics.com/product/sto-steel-tuned-overdrive
Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 9:44 am    

Whatever I try I always return to my old SansAmp Classic.
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 7:53 am    

I also have the “Steeltronic’s “ STO pedal , which is utterly fantastic. This pedal is designed for steel guitar pickup’s.

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 9:23 am    

I like the Jam Rattler for real saturated distortion slash fuzz. I use it in my psychedelic rock band with the strymon cloudburst and it sounds really cool. like an overdriven cello or a viola

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 9:58 am    

The only pedal that has stayed consistently on my pedal board for years and years now is the Sarno Earth Drive. Great for steel because you can hear the individual notes and it doesn't get muddy like some overdrive pedals.

If you want full-on over the top distortion I really like the Crazy Tube Circuits Starlight Fuzz