| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sneaky Pete... little known gem...
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 2:53 am    

This is off the Byrds [Untitled] album... I wore this album out as a young man, and had forgotten about this song... It highlights Pete playing with a bit different feel and tone, and using a LOT of harmonics which we don't hear him do a lot of in other recordings.. His Fender sounds simply wonderful, clear and lush, but again, something is different about it here.. Slightly more "conventional" sound if that makes any sense.. as always though, perfect playing for the song... The Fender cable steels in my opinion sounded as sweet and beautiful as any pedal steel ever made.. This is a great example... enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNaFxFUuGvE

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 2:57 am    

They always sounded very cool to me. Very haunting.
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 7:10 am    

Those later Byrds records are mighty underrated.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 9:16 am    

Yep! One of my favorite Byrds cuts and his parts really make this song. I saw this version of the band about five times. I only saw Pete play one time in Rochester with the “non-Hillman” Burrito Brothers in the 70s. I recall Pete doing some very cool Travis picking on that Fender.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 10:10 pm    

Funny, I've been listening to that album the last couple of weeks, yes Pete done good on that. Interesting that, that lineup of the Byrds was the longest lasting.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 3:37 am    

many,many years ago I read an album review on [untitled] and the author said that it was Clarance using his tele and bender on the pedal steel parts.. I actually believed it, until I gave it a good listen, and realized.. yeah, no...........I like the fact that although its recognizable as pete, there something a bit different in the sound on this track.. Less effects, a bit more of a traditional pedal steel sound, and heavy use of well executed harmonics, something I have not heard much of in pete's playing..bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 3:58 am    

Bob, Here’s another example from roughly the same era where Pete used a lot of harmonics. I think this song is one of the reasons why Buddy Emmons really dug Pete. The one steel player who never tried to sound like Buddy Emmons!
https://youtu.be/B7nOo8taGDk?si=BeFjPswGJq9VJOTe
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 4:43 am    

If I'm not mistaken Mr. Wonder let a later iincarnation of the Burritos record for free in his studio.

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 7:02 pm    

"The Fender cable steels in my opinion sounded as sweet and beautiful as any pedal steel ever made.. This is a great example... enjoy... "

Gene Parsons still plays a Fender 800 in a D9 copedent 7/4. I get to hear it almost weekly. Distinct voice to those guitars.

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 3:00 am    

Great picture Lee, did Gene ever build that small scale steam engine?, would love to see his shop.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 7:07 am    

Craig Stock wrote:
Great picture Lee, did Gene ever build that small scale steam engine?, would love to see his shop.

Photo is from his shop and, yes he built the steam engine and cars, and gives rides on it when he does a "steam up".

He also builds custom brass steam whistles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr_8dlrRcIE

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 2:37 pm    

Lee, Thanks so much for the picture, I knew he did the whistles, I would love to get one some day. As I remember the engine is 1:3 scale, but I'm not sure. What a great talented guy!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days