| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Credit Paul Franklin and Sarah Jory
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2024 7:00 am    

I recently joined a band which I thought was traditionally Country, but when I received the Set List 50% of the songs were in the Pop/Jazz and Blues field. Eg: “Sister Golden Hair by America, songs by Neil Diamond etc… I thought “Should I or Shouldn’t I. Then my thoughts turned to comments made by Paul Franklin and Sarah Jory, also listening to their examples. Showing how versatile this fantastic instrument is in creating sounds in all musical categories. So with the use of a couple of effects pedals to help change the sound characteristics I jumped into the new experience . Being a six string rocker back in my younger years also helped.

I am curious if other members have travelled this path.

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2024 7:24 am    

Yes back when me and Dale Watson played together; we both also like old POP and Swing music and even recorded 2 Sinatra songs:
"I left her in ole Monterrey"
"Danced all night"
and we recorded a whole album of this theme called "One More Once More"
Dale wrote half the songs and the others are favs of ours from old school. Here ya go>

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k2xTkYqr57KMxc8g9NFp3uckXXP87LQ6w&si=xhelyQ6tDty-R6wD

There's the whole album you can get some great references from; I played all C6 on my "Blue Darlin Fulawka"(except one song on E9; but you could never guess which is that..ha)
Ricky
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2024 10:33 am    

Great Album Ricky, I have listened to you and Dale playing before and I think you brought the best out of him, not to mention your great playing also.

Larry

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2024 11:52 am    

Our instrument is capable of so much more than we allow it to show. Time, we opened our minds there is so much more great music than just country. except Rapp and we'll just pretend we never heard that.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 4:29 am    

Been doing that for decades, yep 😎

You've never really lived until you have played pedal steel on a reggae version of CCR's "Bad Moon Rising" with a didgeridoo as the other solo instrument.
Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 7:53 am     great observation...and advice!

Hey all! Great observation...and very timely. Now that pedal steel has "lost" its long-lived marriage to country music our instrument will have to "stand on its own four legs" to progress and endure its musical future. Credit is well deserved by Paul, Sarah, and others who advance the scope of steel music. After having experienced a health diagnosis that kept me from playing for a while, I vowed to stay "in touch" and to make myself go in new and satisfying directions. Having a guitar to play again, and making some knee/pedal changes(from the more usual) I am making it happen. I would encourage anyone else that may be in a rut or bored to try new things. I believe that many of us more experienced player would agree that the new players will not be champing at the bit to learn and play "Together Again" or "Way to Survive". So, what will they be into? Answer: anything that can and will sound great on steel! I'm fer it...what say you? Regards from down in the holler,RK😉

Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 11:33 am     Great stuff!

Ricky, Thanks for pointing out this album. I love the material and your playing drives me more toward the C6th
neck. So glad I stared this journey years ago...great Instrument.

Take Care Terry Hickey