| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installing knee lever Flags
Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 6:54 pm    

I am in the process of putting some knee lever flags on my Magnum D-10. I have cut some flags out of 1/4 inch aluminum and I am wondering if there is a good way of drilling holes in the knee levers without removing them from the guitar?
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 27 May 2024 1:27 am    

If you don’t wish to remove the lever I think your only option is to incorporate a clamp style fixing on the flag.
Rich Cottle

Sacramento California
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2024 8:25 am     Flags

Yeah what do you mean by flags ?
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2024 1:36 pm     Re: Flags

Rich Cottle wrote:
Yeah what do you mean by flags ?

They re a flat panel which has provides more surface area against the knee to give better access and less pressure on the knee.
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2024 3:45 am    

To do it RIGHT you realy need to remove the lever. Drill and countersink the flag and then use it as a template to mark and drill the the lever. I tap 8/32 threads in the lever and use short Stainless Steel screws.
The other option is clamp on as John said:

Good luck
Barry

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2024 2:16 pm    

Sometimes large flags create issues with folding levers down for packing, they'll hang up on other components. This is a simple way to make flags that are easy to remove and reinstall quickly, these are 1/8" 6160:

Sacramento California
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2024 8:55 pm     Flaggs

I call em fins or extention fins ,Mullens uses 3/32 " thickness , I think 1/4" thickness would be a little overkill , I've never seen any guitar that uses 1/4"
, I would suggest that you disconnect it from the guitar that way you can use a drill press and get everything lined up , of course there's never enough time to do it right , but alaways enough time to do it over.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2024 4:01 am    

Slightly off topic as the OP already has flags designed, but for those tight spots where big flat flags won't fold up properly for casing up the guitar, the Emmons style 90 degree folding flag works great. It will fold up right next to the lever taking up almost no space and not cause any casing problems.

If done properly and attached with a nylon washer, the degree of up and down angle can also be customized by just tightening up the mounting screw in the desired position, then fold up against the lever for packing up.