| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Microsoft is going to cut me off...
DG Whitley

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2024 12:57 pm    

Microsoft just sent me a full screen message that my Windows 10 computer support will end next year and that I will have to move to Windows 11. Unfortunately, my computer will not support Windows 11. So, I'm just out of luck as I can't afford a new computer. Way to go Microsoft. I'm retired and on SS, and don't make enough to afford another computer. Comes with growing old I guess.
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2024 3:40 pm    

The computer should still work online it just won't receive new security updates it will still connect to the Internet. Might be a good idea to buy an independent antivirus after that date however.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2024 9:42 am     Consider Factory Refurbished, Used or Chromebook Computers

Factory refurbished computers are fairly inexpensive and typically have the latest operating system. Here is a link for Dell but all the major manufactures offer similar products. : https://www.dell.com/en-us/dfh/lp/outlet?gacd=9695162-1021-5761040-266674531-0&dgc=st&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1emzBhB8EiwAHwZZxTMbzHV5Y5-LA1ZoPgZ7Fjs3seBWe_CV_hkZifnmf9n6AF_WhLB82BoCaNoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Local computer stores and Craigslist are two places to look for used computers. One caution is to make sure when meeting someone off Craigslist to meet in a public and safe place.

Target, WalMart and BestBuy are three stores that sell Chromebooks as well as more traditional computer systems. Chromebooks are computers that use the Google Chrome operating system instead of Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh operating systems. They normally have little drive storage because everything is expected to be stored in the cloud or online.

After July 4th you should start seeing back to school sales which will include some bargain computer prices as stores dump this year's computers so they can stock up on the next generation that starts arriving in latter October.

More refurbished computer links:
https://www.walmart.com/browse/electronics/all-walmart-restored-computers/3944_9332706_7782955_2916436_4932219?povid=GlobalNav_rWeb_ElectronicsVideoGames_Computers_WalmartRestoredComputers
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&sp=%2Bcurrentprice%20skuidsaas&st=refurbished+laptop
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100019095+4016
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Last edited by Jim Fogle on 25 Jun 2024 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2024 10:32 am    

What Jim said.
Basic lap tops are pretty inexpensive now. So if you don't need a lot of processing power or high speed, you can pick them up at a reasonable price.

The last one I bought is a small probably 12 in. basic lap top that I found at Best Buy's open box inventory...full warranty and all install and papers etc. with it.

I think I paid around $120 or maybe less for it.

I don't need a lot of stuff, just basic internet stuff and storing a few pics, so it works fine for me.

Only thing, it doesn't have a CD drive but now a lot of people are using other devices instead of them.

I'm limited too and pretty strapped myself, but I'll go out on a limb and pledge $20 toward your purchasing one of these basic affordable lap tops to keep you going. If a few more people will pledge that, it won't take much doing.
DG Whitley

Post  Posted 27 Jun 2024 1:00 pm    

I deeply appreciate your offer Jerry, but I trust in the man upstairs and if is to be he'll provide a path. Thanks for the offer though. I'll be looking at alternatives mentioned above. Thanks to all who responded, deeply appreciated.
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 10:13 am    

Put me down for $20.00.