| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can anyone tell me about this vintage slide?
Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 12:35 pm    

This came with an Oahu Tonemaster. It's pretty light weight, has a tapered shape, and looks to be some kind of synthetic material (Bakelite?) over a brass core. If you look closely at the photos, especially the third one, you can see it has a thin crack running from the base up about 1' along the slide.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 5:57 pm    

I think that’s what people call a “black raja” highly desirable, not sure how you would try to fix that crack.
Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 6:25 pm    

Thanks, Nathan! I looked it up and it certainly looks like Black Raja bars I saw online. I like the weight and the shape of it. I wonder if trying to fill the crack with something like super glue would prevent further cracking. It's such a thin crack, I don't know if anything would even go into it, though.

Someone here posted this in another thread. Interesting that the copy says it's made "of the hardest known plastic material, and not to be confused with bakelite or any phenolic plastic." So, it's some kind of space age wonder plastic!

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 6:55 pm    

Here's the original patent from 1935 was granted in '37 and expired in '54.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2073331

I would say that hairline is from differing rates of thermal expansion of the two materials.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 7:03 pm    

I have one of those. It's 2 7/8 long and tapered. I was told it is a Black Raja but I have no knowledge if that's true. All I know is it's my favorite bar for lap steel. I used to say the same thing about my Chase tapered bars, but I believe the black one is even better.

Both these bars feel so natural in the hand. The black one is shorter with less taper than the Chase bars.

These bars came to me in cases or odd lots of things I bought in grab bag style. Little gems. Happy surprises.

I don't have any help for you about repairing that crack. If you put super glue in there, be sure it levels out and doesn't leave a lump. If it's stable and doesn't spread, I'd probably just play it holding the crack away from the strings.