| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Advice
Mary Hollifield

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 9:14 am    

Hi!
My grandfather passed away recently and I am trying to help my dad find the value of his steel guitar and some advice on selling it. It is an 8 string, lap steel, double neck Supro steel guitar with legs. Serial number: x 90441. We are looking to figure out the value of the steel and how much we should sell it for. We also are looking for the best way to list the steel for sale. I haven't figured out how to upload pictures. I see the upload image option, but it isn't working.
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 9:36 am    

Check Reverb.com and see what similar items are selling for. That should give you some idea as to what your guitar is worth or at least a ball park figure.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 10:28 am    

Check sold listings here on the forum for comparables and ask questions here, as you are now doing. IMO, this forum is the primary marketplace for steel guitars, and there are lots of old Supros that have been sold here. And lots of knowledgeable people.

As far as photos on the forum go - the issue is almost always size. The limit is 2048x2048 pixels and 8 MB. Make sure the photo is jpg or png. There are 17 threads on the first page of the Forum Feedback section devoted to issues uploading photos - it's always the same thing: size limit and very occasionally someone tries to use a different file type. There is also advice there on how to resize photos. The problem is that cell phone camera resolution is ridiculously high these days, and not useful for web display, unadulterated.

Once you can upload photos here, there will undoubtedly be lots of people willing to offere advice on how much to ask, how to sell it, and so on.
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 10:47 am    

What we can tell you is that the serial dates to 1958 (give or take a year, but generally the list is pretty accurate) and a D8 Supro would have been a model 1475B Console Sixteen. I used to have one and it was a great steel.
Mary Hollifield

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 1:54 pm    

Mary Hollifield

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 1:55 pm    

Thanks for the help with getting a picture uploaded.
Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 4:10 pm    

Reverb is a horrible place to compare prices.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 4:35 pm    

Nice guitar. On this thread - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=267535 - the most knowledgeable (IMO) guy here on these steels valued this around $750 ten years ago. I think things have increased since then, but I basically agree with his general approach and analysis. I'd start around a grand and see what happens. If I hadn't sworn off getting more console steels, I'd be interested myself.

BTW - that little Peavey Backstage Plus amp is, IMO, one of the best nonpedal steel amps I've ever played through. I have one here at home in PA, and another that I leave down in Nashville for when I'm there. Great for guitar too. They're not worth a lot of money - they're solid-state, and most guitarists eschew solid-state amps - but they are really good amps. Pretty much bulletproof, it is very tough to kill them.