| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fun With This 7-String E9 Tuning
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 5:29 pm    

I’ve never tried any E9 before. It always looked too complicated, but today and yesterday I tuned a 7-string to E G# B D F# B E. It’s just one of the common 8-string versions of E9, E G# B D F# G# B E but with the higher G# removed.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and leant itself nicely and intuitively to the bluesy improvisation and accompaniment that I enjoy playing. I’ll try to get a video up here in the next couple days.

The 8 string version seems fairly common, though I’m not sure if it is the most common E9. Does anyone here regularly play this particular 7 string tuning?

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Last edited by Allan Revich on 15 May 2024 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 9:16 am    

I haven’t tried that particular version, without the middle G#, but I really like that 8 string version and the 6th string version of that (top 6 strings).
I agree that non pedal E9th are great blues tunings. IMO just about the best.
Interested to hear what sounds you’re getting with it Smile

Your 7 string version with the F# tuned up to G# is a great straight E7th tuning too, as I think we have discussed Laughing
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 9:40 am    

Joe A. Roberts wrote:
I haven’t tried that particular version, without the middle G#, but I really like that 8 string version and the 6th string version of that (top 6 strings).
I agree that non pedal E9th are great blues tunings. IMO just about the best.
Interested to hear what sounds you’re getting with it Smile

Your 7 string version with the F# tuned up to G# is a great straight E7th tuning too, as I think we have discussed Laughing

Thanks Joe. I see the missing G# as an advantage because I don’t need to worry about when playing the 1 b3 5 1 minor chords built from the B strings. I recognize that the G# also has advantages as an additional 3rd in major chords and an additional 1 for m7b5 chords. For someone like me whose “happy place” is open major tunings, the E9 as I have it is about as complicated as I can handle.

As you’ve probably noticed, I’ve spent years trying to find a comfortable, intuitive, tuning with more possibilities than the open majors. Oh Well Laughing