| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C# minor Tuning
Michael Kienhofer

Goulais River,Ontario,Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 7:56 am    

Hi everyone this is my first post,I,m trying to understand the fretboard layout in this tuning,A,C#,E,G#,C#,E. low to high.What are my chords called at various fret positions and how does this now effect my slants? Thanks for all your help.
David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 8:23 am    

Hello, Michael,

You might find this web site very helpful:

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html

Change the tuning on the left to match yours by clicking on the "+" to raise them (the "-" lowers them). Then just choose the type of chord you want to find on the fretboard and it will show where/how to get it.

Enjoy!

-Dave
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 8:35 am    

The tuning for C#min7 is spelled (high to low) E C# G# E B E

This is the tuning invented by Sol Hoopii. Is it the one you're referring to?

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 11:57 am    

Yes it is Mike can you give me a quick primer?
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 2:36 pm    

Hi Michael,

It's easier to think of the tuning as an E6. You can orient yourself by the top E string; that's the root of your straight-bar chord. Two frets back from your straight-bar major is that same chord's dom 7/9. Wherever you play a straight-bar major chord, your relative minor is also there too (e.g. C6 and Am are in the same position). You can also imply a 9th chord by slanting the bar forward over the top three strings. I hope this helps--I don't really play this tuning so I don't know all the insides and outs. Mike Neer is very familiar with this tuning.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 6:06 pm    

This is the tuning I play most in. It's just because it fit best with the music I'm playing and it was easy for me to grasp.

You're very rarely going to be able to get complete chords that work with a straight bar. You'll most likely have to use partial chords or slant the bar to get more partial chords. Generally, you're not playing solo when you use this tuning (although it can be done, definitely).

I can't get into it too much now, but I have my way of visualizing the fretboard and it's based around chords and arpeggios. The most important thing to do is think of the first 4 strings separately from the bass strings. An example:

First three strings, barred at 5th fret. Notes are A F# C#

I see that as F#min, A6, B9, DMaj7, D#min7b5, F7#5b9, GMaj9#11, etc. Of course, these are only partials, so not all the important elements of the chord are there, but we can move the bar to get what we need or resolve or reinforce our chord. From there I build my scales and memorize shapes. I've just given myself opportunities to be able to play over any chord in almost any position.

Sorry you asked? Very Happy
This is just how I see it. My advice, just get used to the first 4 strings, use the "Look No Hands" chord or scale generator and then just try to play along with some old records, like Dick McIntire. Of course, you're not only limited to Hawaiian music.

I apologize in advance if this is not clear enough--I'm trying to do 5 things at once, including tucking in the kids.

If you're interested in hearing some C#m7 tuning in action, I posted a concert of mine at http://www.mikeneer.com/sound.htm

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 7:16 pm    

Thanks alot Jeff and Mike I,ll work on this for a while,and I did download your concert Mike you guys are my Fav band,hope to see you guys in the new year!and catch a live show. Michael.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 9:04 pm    

I agree with Jeff. I've always thought of this tuning as E6 (E, G#, B, C#)
Lorren White

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 10:44 am    

I am surprised that no one has referred to the old Ohau courses that provided lot of lessons in A major, E major, E7th, C#minor7th and Aminor7th. I still have lots of sheet music diagramed in these tunings under the Ohau method.
Lorren White

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 10:47 am    

I am surprised that no one has referred to the old Ohau teaching method that provided lessons in A major, E major, E7th, c#minor7th and A minor 7th or C6th. I still have a lot of the music that was provided in these tunnings.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 10:59 am    

Lorren, all my bad habits I learned from playing guitar. I studied music independently, but extensively, and only can see things the way my brain lets me. I tried to use a few of the available materials, but tab and stuff like that doesn't stay with me. I had to see it all laid out for myself. Maybe that's why I'm not a pure steel guitarist. I'm sure the lessons would be good for technique and all that stuff, though.

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 3:26 pm    

Lorren, would you care to share this material?It would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Michael
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 7:06 am    

Lorren White wrote:
I am surprised that no one has referred to the old Ohau teaching method that provided lessons in A major, E major, E7th, c#minor7th and A minor 7th or C6th. I still have a lot of the music that was provided in these tunnings.

Since C6 and Am7 are enharmonic equivalents, does anyone refer to C6 as Am7? I think it's interesting that C6 tends to be the more common reference, but rather than E6, it's more commonly referred to as C#m7.

Interesting...

TJW
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 7:15 am    

I think C#m7 just sounds more fancy.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 7:51 am    

When I used to play a lot more of non-pedal guitar, I had the C#m7 tuning on one neck of my T-8 Stringmaster. However, I put a B between the C# and the G# strings.

I started out learning steel guitar on the A, high bass, tuning and this setup gave me kind of a combination of the A and E tunings.
Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 3:48 pm    

I believe that C6 used to be called Am7 in its earliest days...
As for C#m, the "pure" C#m tuning was derived from the high-bass A tuning by flatting the third and sixth string A's to G#. National did this on their Triplex lapsteel of the late '40s-early '50s, as did the Stringtone changer. The C#m tuning we've been discussing here is "corrrectly" called C#m7 and was derived from the Emaj tuning by raising the second string from B to C#. As shown in these two examples, the "name" of the tuning didn't necessarily reflect its tonal root in actual usage. For some reason, they were referred to by their relative minor enharmonic equivalent rather than the "6th" version of their major root. It would be interesting to know why that used to be the case...

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 4:10 pm    

Mike states: "I believe that C6 used to be called Am7 in its earliest days... "

How true. The adage that someone "invented" a tuning has always amused me. Tunings are based on chords which in turn are based on scales. The tunings have always been there, just a matter of knowing basic theory.
Lorren White

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 6:22 pm    

Michael Kienhofer wrote:
Lorren, would you care to share this material?It would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Michael

Michael, I do not know about copyrights, etc. Harry Stanley was to owner of the Oahu courses. I did have information that it was sold several years ago. It would take quite a bit of copying. Maybe someone knows if this would be a problem.
Michael Kienhofer

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2007 8:05 am    

Lorren if you can give me titles to these courses I can watch E-Bay for them.Thanks
Thomas Mardas

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2022 2:47 pm     c#minor sol hoopi tuning

Hi all. I want to learn some tunes in this tuning and have the music but am not sure what set of string would be closest to this one. Would it be ok to get a set of open E strings and tune them this way or should i use C6 set or some sort of hybrid thingy. I realize string size matters with these tunings. thanks, tom.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2022 6:55 am    

I would suggest you pull up John Ely's web site.
He has a string chart for the various notes.
http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.html
Erv
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2022 6:58 am    

Thomas,
I would suggest you pull up John Ely's web site.
He has a string gauge chart for the various notes.
http://www.hawaiiansteel.com
Erv
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2022 8:09 am    

I second the suggestion for John Ely's String Gauge Chart: https://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.php#chart

The chart will tell you what string gauge to use for whatever open note (open string) you want on lap steel guitar.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2022 1:23 pm    

I have used C#m7 tuning (and lower variants) for lap steel. It was one of the three tunings accessible with a Rowe/DeArmond Triplex changer, along with E and A.

I have also used this for certain bottleneck tunes, especially for pushing 40's and 50's country songs into a delta blues rhythm, just by raising the 2nd string of Sevastopol tuning.

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2022 11:00 pm     Re: c#minor sol hoopi tuning

Thomas Mardas wrote:
Hi all. I want to learn some tunes in this tuning and have the music but am not sure what set of string would be closest to this one. Would it be ok to get a set of open E strings and tune them this way or should i use C6 set or some sort of hybrid thingy. I realize string size matters with these tunings. thanks, tom.

If you use the lowbass version of c#minor a Open E set should work, just check the gauges of the set against the John Ely side and make sure you are in the same ballpark. The Highbass version of that tuning works also great, for that you can use the same strings as for the A Highbass tuning, the string gauges are written here on my website:
https://hawaiian-steel-guitar.com/tunings

Btw, I wasn't aware of this thread, great insights on how to look at this tuning.