| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open wound strings and metal picks
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2024 4:23 pm    

Any technique suggestions one eliminating the scratchy, tin sound you get when playing wound strings in the open position? I’m trying to play the vamp to Memphis, TN and the clanking sound is driving me crazy. I’ve tried pick and palm blocking, but when I do I seem to loose a lot of volume on the 10th string and the 8th string overpowers it.

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2024 11:12 am    

Hi Rick,

Have you tried adjusting the blade-angle of your fingerpicks?

In my experience, the optimal blade-angle is one that allows the string to smoothly glide off the fingerpick after being struck.
If the blade-angle is such that the fingerpick blade slams into the string instead of allowing it to glide off, it is likely to create a lot of pick noise.

Here are a couple of threads that may help you find the optimal blade-angle…
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=298186&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2597654&sid=41429b2ae926cf44c69ef5c28d835f5e

-Dave
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2024 8:55 pm    

It seems that in the process of winding the wire wrap on wound strings, Some roughness to the winding is added, As it is wound on the core. Especially Stainless Steel windings.

When I started playing steel I found the roughness and grabbing of Nickel Silver picks was causing drag and sound. Now Playing a S12 Universal the 10-11-12 strings are real rough new.

When I change strings, A 1 1/2" square pad of 0000 steel wool is part of my tool kit. You can actually feel a new string dragging when being pulled through the steel wool pad. The first pull through the steel wool pad has a lot of drag to it, And keeps getting lighter with each pass through the steel wool pad. About 6 passes makes the string real smooth. Makes a lot less drag when the pick contacts the string and slides. Seems when strings are pulled through steel wool less sweat, dirt and skin cells attach its self to the string, And is easier to remove when cleaning strings.

May be worth a try for your problem, Happy Steelin.