| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Case
Johnny Case

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 9:50 am    

It is with great sadness that I report the death of my brother Jerry Case, who played 7-string guitar. He passed away on May 29, 2024 in Los Angeles. Jerry had multiple health issues including recent complications resulting from radiation treatments for cancer of the esophagus.

He was born Gerald Wayne Case on November 24, 1943 in Washington D.C. His parents, J.C. & Floy Case were "transplanted" Texans serving our country during World War II and returned to their native state near the close of the war. Jerry and I were both child performers in the 1950's. His professional career began in 1963 as lead guitarist with Joe Carson's band, in which he played alongside steelman Chuck Caldwell. Some two years later, Jerry was touring with Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. Steel players with whom Jerry has worked regularly include Caldwell, Daryl Davidson, Albert Talley, Phil Sperbeck, Ivan Greathouse and Maurice Anderson. Other steelers with whom he played shorter stints include, Billy Braddy, Denny Mathis and individual sets with Herb Remington, Rose Sinclair, Junior Knight, Herby Wallace, Doug Jernigan, John Hughey, Herb Steiner and Buddy Emmons. In Los Angeles, Jerry played a few gigs with jazz pedal steel guitarist Al Vescovo. In the 1970's, Jerry and I recorded a series of jazz albums featuring Tom Morrell and Maurice Anderson.

Shortly after Jerry moved to Los Angeles in 1986, he met guitarist Jimmy Wyble, another former Texas Playboy. Their shared interest in jazz had led both guitarists into that arena. They would become and remain close friends. Jerry was much loved by many people from all walks of life, and of all ages and cultural backgrounds. One of his Fort Worth musician friends, Ron Thayer, told me that it was difficult to sum up how special a person was Jerry Case. He said: "He seemed to draw out the kindness in other people". I can't think of a better way to close this notice which is also a tribute.

Last edited by Johnny Case on 2 Jun 2024 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 10:16 am    

Johnny, I’m so sorry to read this. My deepest condolences to you and the Case family. He was a fantastic musician, like you. What a family, what a life.

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 11:49 am    

This is terrible news. Johnny, your albums with Jerry, Maurice and Tom Morrell are some of my favorite jazz performances of all time. Jerry was a top-notch musician in every respect.
Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 1:53 pm     Jerry

Johnny- Sorry to hear the news of your loss. My condolences to you and yours. Randall
Deke Dickerson

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 4:49 pm    

Johnny--so sorry to hear about Jerry. We became pretty good friends in the last year of his life. I wish I had met him sooner, but glad I got to know him before he passed. Would love to connect with you, Jerry said you had live tapes of Little Joe Carson back in the day. Would love to hear them! Your brother was a real gem.

Deke Dickerson
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 6:32 pm    

Sad song...

Jerry and I played together, like Johnny said, in one of
Al Dressen's many Western Swing conglomerations. He was a sensitive accompanist to a steel player and a great soloist when his time to play came around. He will be missed by all who knew him.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 1:50 pm    

We send our sympathy and prayers for you and your family. I never knew your brother, but I have heard your and his playing music on recordings with Maurice "Reece" Anderson and others for years. The Case Brothers, you and your brother are Country, Western Swing and Jazz Music Legends. Again we send our condolences!
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 6:17 am    

Jerry,
So sorry to hear this, You and the family are in our Prayers.....
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 8:58 am    

My sympathies to you and your family in your loss. May his memory be a blessing.
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 5:30 pm    

Sorry for your loss Johnny. Jerry was an amazing player.