| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel repair in Montreal/New England area
Peter Hay

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 10:44 am    

Hi all!

I'm in Montreal, QC.

I have a Fessenden 10 string and would like to rearrange the copedant and move a knee lever.

Thought about doing it myself, but not there yet.

If I could chat with someone to set up and make a short day trip to them to drop it off and then pick it back up a few days later, I would do that.

Seems to be a simple job. Just move the LKL lever closer to my knee and change RKL to drop G# to F#.

And maybe take a look at ny other potential issues. Once it's on the bench, that is the time to work on it!

I'm at peterhayguitar@gmail.com
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 12:26 pm    

Tom Cass in Baldwinville Mass is a good choice.

But a note on moving Fessenden knee levers. Mounting the knee to the cross shaft actually requires drilling a hole in the cross shaft. This might not be a big deal for an experienced tech like Tom, but it's a little more time consuming than meets the eye
Peter Hay

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2024 6:56 pm    

Appreciate that, Thanks!
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2024 2:12 pm    

Tommy Cass will do it right!
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2024 11:20 am     Re: Pedal Steel repair in Montreal/New England area

Peter Hay wrote:
Just move the LKL lever closer to my knee

Hi, Peter. Like most brands, Fessenden's have adjustable levers with the turn of a tiny screw. Before remounting... have you maxed out that 'angle of the dangle' so it's as close to your knee as possible? I used to have a Fessy and had no trouble getting the levers to hug my knee on both sides.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2024 3:57 am    

Doh! Excellent point, Tucker. I was visualizing moving the knee lever over on the cross shaft, but of course, the OP probably just meant adjusting the angle of the knee lever.

Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 29 Aug 2024 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Hay

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2024 10:05 pm    

Maybe I will make a quick video to show you guys what I need and if it can be managed by turning some screws. Stand by...
Peter Hay

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2024 5:03 pm     i made a video of the copedant issue fro fessenden guitar

Alright, here is a rough video fo my issue. Please let me know if I can clarify anything about the issue.

Thanks!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ah83_IW6-A
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2024 5:38 pm    

On both of your left knee levers, fold down the lever and inside the slot of the stem you will see a very tiny set screw. With the right sized allen wrench, unscrew that set screw a tiny bit. It will move the levers closer together. Fine tune the position until you get it where you want them.

One your right knee>left, unscrew and remove the nylon tuning nut. Slide the rod out of the changer hole (and out of the bellcrank). Reinsert the rod into a hole in the lowering finger (it is currently in the raise finger). put on the nylon nut and screw it in. It will take trial and error to get the correct bellcrank slot and changer hole but this is a start.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 4:14 am    

I wasn't around my files last night.

This pic shows where the angle adjustment is for the levers. You need a small allen wrench -- probably 3/32" or 1/8" but I don't recall. Everybody who is going to work inside one of these beast should have a full set of small wrenches. just a small adjustment to the set screw will yield large results. Angle both levers inward and that may be all you need.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 4:17 am    

For the 6th string lower, change the rod so instead of engaging the raise finger (green), it engages the lower (red). I annotated a different finger because it was less cluttered.
I'd probably start with the middle hole. 6th string lower takes a lot more of movement than 6th string raise and it is possible you will need to change the lever stop to allow a longer throw.

Peter Hay

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2024 10:57 pm    

Thanks Jon. I am going to check both those solutions out. Maybe I can save a trip to the states.

Seems a lot simpler than I thought.
Peter Hay

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2024 7:42 pm    

My jaw is on the floor.

That all worked.

This might be the greatest night of my life.