| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 Instructions
Steven Golding

New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 5:16 pm    

Hey, y'all, can anyone direct me or post some good C6 instructional material?

If memory serves me right, I can come across material Herb Steiner made. I found the information deeply informative; however, if I compared it to how I learned E9, I feel it could have been more efficient (for me anyway) to understand the chords across the neck instead of what combination of the pedal and knee creates in one position.

This is by no means a knock on Herb's work, I greatly appreciate it. I feel like it would take less time to understand the C6 neck by learning what one chord is up and down the neck with the different combinations of pedals and knees.

Can anyone point me toward a good, cheap c6 course and or post some basic pedal and knee combinations for the same chord up the neck?

-S
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 6:16 pm    

Jody Cameron has some nice C6 lessons on his patreon page. $15 a month

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2024 1:02 pm    

I think that nowadays there is no excuse anymore not to use videos.

If you like or are at least OK with Western Swing being used as the medium to explore the core foundations, I feel that Jeff Newman’s video series on C6th used in order still is one of the most valid curiculum to follow:

- C6th Workshop 1 & 2
and THEREAFTER
- C6th And Swinging 1 & 2

After that, if you are saddlefast, Paul Franklin’s video online courses is the stepping stone into Jazz and what ever you want to take the tuning futher into.
I don't know of a video course which goes further into the "jungle" of Jazz than PF's maybe with the exception of fellow Forumite Dan Jones' book "Jazz Theory For PSG" (which you can order from him directly. But that's a book and I would put it as a timely companion to PF's online video course on the subject.

And when it comes to Jazz and Bebop, don’t be shy to study educational videos of Saxophone, Guitar and even Piano Players (I lately grew sort of an addiction to Vibrophone courses too)… because they tend to know their theory and some even can explain it well, while while some great PSG'ists know their foundations, it's a bit difficult to explain on a PSG.

Get a cheap small keyboard. Music on a keyboard is "linear" and only 1-dimensional while on stringed instruments it's 2-dimensional and adding pedals and lever one could argue somewhat "3-dimensional". It will be of great help for you to experiment theory on something "stable" and very visual.

In Jazz you will have to understand DEGREES and not only related to the key or key-center, but also relative to the next or the target chord... in other words, you will eventually need to be able to identify the V of the V, the ii-m of the IV and the V of the IV relative to the a key center or previous chord (Eg. being able to do a ii.V into the IV chord coming up from the key (Jazz Blues does that all nite long). This will allow you to understand which degrees of the next chord you are targeting and from which degrees of the current chord (leading tones & voice leading).

Learn BLUES first, THEN Jazz Blues in all keys. Both forms are fairly "standardized" which will help you develop ear-recognition and lay out licks, lines and clichées in all keys without being confronted with every changing progression found in Jazz Standards. Jazz Blues will introduce you to ii.V.I's in the long and short form and even iii.VI.ii.V's and I.VI.ii.V's which will prepared you to approach Jazz standards which are constructed in big part of "LEGO"-blocks-assemblies of these movements moved around less predictably.

It's NOT that C6th is more complicated, not at all!
But typically the music we tend to approach with it, is. Often, we learn the instrument and music as such or a new music genre/idiom at once, and that's a challenge.

… JD.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Last edited by J D Sauser on 31 Jan 2024 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2024 3:04 pm     C6th

Great advise JD.
Sambo
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 9:16 am    

J D Sauser wrote:
...I feel that Jeff Newman’s video series on C6th used in order still is one of the most valid curiculum to follow:

- C6th Workshop 1 & 2
and THEREAFTER
- C6th And Swinging 1 & 2

… JD.

OK, where do you find Jeff Newman's C6 courses? From what I could find they were VHS tapes. Has anyone transferred them to DVDs?

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 9:38 am    

Jeff's VHS courses were made available in later years on DVD.
Upon his untimely passing, his wife Fran kept selling them and until 2 years ago, his niece. I got the last copies from her and then, people started complaining that she was not filling orders, late or unresponsive via phone/email. And then she "disappeared"

Tom Bradashaw who has documented steel guitar for the better part of his life, has lately collected all of Jeff Newman's material. He can be reached here on this Forum. He also has a web site but I don't seem to have it handy. I do however NOT know IF he "can" give out copies of Jeff's material, although I suspect that copyright has expired.

You may want to post a "Want To Buy" request the like named Forum section. Maybe someone is willing to loan you their copies.

There have been MANY copies sold. Jeff and his wife traveled to all conventions all over the country for Decades, selling, doing seminars and events. These courses are around!

Good luck!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 1:15 pm    

JD,

Thanks! I am willing to pay for the courses. It is unlikely that the copyrights have expired. My guess is that they are still owned by his wife Fran unless she sold or transferred them to someone else.

I will post an ad for them.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 8:00 pm    

I believe Fran Newman also passed on a while back. I don't know Tom's intentions with the material. I thought it was going to be made available again but nothing thus far. It's sad that all this is being kept out of reach to new players.
Did a search, Fran passed in 2016. Rip
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2024 12:37 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
I believe Fran Newman also passed on a while back. I don't know Tom's intentions with the material. I thought it was going to be made available again but nothing thus far. It's sad that all this is being kept out of reach to new players.
Did a search, Fran passed in 2016. Rip

Jeff was taken from us in April 2004... it's going to be 20 years... unbelievable.

I did some online research on copyright duration on books and it SEEMS to apply to video too (although movies SEEM to be free to publish after some 20 years?):
Based on the Berne Convention to which the US adheres, it would be the length of the authors live PLUS 70 years. In Jeff Newman's case 2074 (50 years from now).

However, I seem to see a LOT of similarly dated educational videos (guitar, sax, keys etc) being published in their entirety on YouTUBE... and YouTUBE can be pretty strict on KNOWN MUSICAL material, taking down even educational videos using original music.

It's a problem, when the material is NOT being published or held available anymore, like this is currently the case with Jeff's material. MAYBE there is a legal remedy in such a case, as this is EDUCATIONAL material and the heirs do seem to have desisted from their right to monetize it or make it available?

But as I said, Jeff and Fran were very busy selling their courses and there must be a LOT of them around unused available to buy.

Disclaimer, I am NOT a legal professional and thus this is NOT a legal opinion or advice... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.