| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Refurb of a 73 Maverick
Justin Mills

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 11:31 am    

I was going to share pictures here but you can't share more than one so rather than flood this post with 30 pictures I will post a link to my Facebook page. This is a recent refurb I did on a 73 maverick. Bought this from an estate for $300 and finally got around to doing the job. I don't normally do these kinds of jobs as I am an electronic repairman, but I did enjoy it. With that being said I don't think I'll do it again as it was quite the job. After getting into the job I discovered the stock pickup was bad because no good deed goes un-punished. I was lucky enough to find a stock pick up from a 1980 model however. All I've got left is to hook the rods back up and we're good to go. I hope some of you will take the time to go to the page and take a look at the pictures. Thanks for looking

https://www.facebook.com/millsmusic29431?mibextid=JRoKGi

Last edited by Justin Mills on 25 Jan 2024 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 12:52 pm    

Nice!

The model name 6138-K indicates it came from the factory with the optional knee lever. Both of my 6138 Mavericks did not come with the knee lever.

Also the serial number of 3705 indicates a date of July 1973.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster Quad black
PedalMaster D8
Justin Mills

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 3:09 pm    

There are some extra parts in the case but no knee lever. I'll try to get a picture of those parts and post here. Perhaps someone here can lead me in the right direction to reinstall that.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 8:59 am    

Justin,

The nut of your Maverick has been modified to have rollers. The MOD moves the nut about 0.250" away from the bridge. Make sure that the fretboad was moved to compensate for it. The best you can do is make sure the 12th fret is exactly 1/2 way between the nut & bridge & let the rest fall where they do.

I originally was going to use a later Sho-Bud headpiece with a roller nut with my Maverick but decided to use the original head piece that has the nut in the correct position.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster Quad black
PedalMaster D8