| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville Bar Association...
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2024 6:33 am    

Chatting with Tiny Olson, he mentioned this album (and a Sonny Garrish cut: 'Slidewalk').

Has this been released on CD? It's 1977, so could only have been released in CD format retrospectively.

Any help appreciated!
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2024 11:30 am    

yes it has Roger. I believe I got a copy from Elsie Crawford, to replace my cassette version. what a mess of talent... great cover photo too!

the album is up on youtube: https://youtu.be/QlAdghSIvmM

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 5:28 am    

Thanks, Scott.

That Emmons on the sleeve was, apparently, Sonny's. It goes almost without saying that the idea for the costumes came from Mr Emmons.

As you say, five remarkable players!
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 5:38 am    

I either bought this from Russ Hicks or was it given to me for free by him, I forgot. The version of this looks like it was copied at home by someone.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 12:34 pm    

Dang, I need to track this CD down. Anyone have one for sale?

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster Quad black
PedalMaster D8
Andy Gibson

Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 12:56 pm    

_x

Last edited by Andy Gibson on 25 Jan 2024 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 12:56 pm    

I remember that LP hanging on wall of Clem's original Emporium on West Lake Street in Mpls in the late '70s. It's one of the few I didn't purchase. Which now seems pretty dumb. Agree on the album cover photo; it's fantastic.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 3:38 pm    

it's a product of its time (1977)

I'm sure all the players were interested in pushing the steel guitar into other realms than traditional country and this album certainly did that. I believe Jimmie Crawford and Russ Hicks were mainly at the helm... very forward thinkers, though it does sound a bit dated now.
here's the liner notes for help navigating the record:

Warmin' Up The Band - All players simulating horns.

Please Come to Boston - Russ Hicks on Steel, lead, rhythm, and Dobro, NBA (Nashville Bar Association) on string effects.

Slidewalk - Sonny Garrish on Steels and Russ on Horns. NBA on horn simulations

The Big Hurt - Intro - Jimmy and John; 1st verse and chorus - Jimmy; 2nd verse Russ on dobros; Ad-lib - Buddy; 3rd verse Jimmy

Mystery Movie Theme - 1st verse - Russ & Sonny; 1st chorus - John & Jimmy; 2nd verse - Sonny & Buddy (chimes); 2nd chorus - Russ (trumpet); 3rd verse - Russ & Sonny.

Devil's Dream - Features Russ & Jimmy playing twin steels on first & last parts of song with individual solos in middle as follows: 1st - Russ & Jimmy; 2nd John; 3rd Sonny, Jimmy, Russ; 4th - Buddy; 5th - Jimmy.

The Air That I Breathe - Intro NBA Dobros; 1- NBA Steels; 2 - NBA Dobros; 3 - Tremolo Guitar - Russ; 3 - Steel Solo - Buddy; 5 - NBA Dobros; 6 - NBA voices.

Horn On The Cob - Intro - Don Sheffield on trumpets; 1st section: A - Jimmy; B- Sonny & Russ (4 bars); Buddy (4 bars); Sonny & Russ (4 bars); Buddy (4 bars); 2nd section: A - Don Sheffield; B - Russ (guitar); C - Buddy (steel); 3rd section: a - NBA steels; b - Don Sheffield (trumpets); C - NBA steels.

El Gato (The Devil Cat) - Features Buddy on gut string and steel (fuzz) and wah wah throughout with Russ on trumpets for intro and mid-section.

Ghost Riders In The Sky - 1st verse - Buddy; 2nd verse - Buddy plays melody with Jimmy playing counter-part rolls; 1st chorus - John; 3rd verse - solo by John (a capella); Jimmy plays vamp leading into middle section which is played by Sonny, Russ and Jimmy with NBA horns in background; Buddy plays Echo-plex vamp leading into last verse which is played by Buddy with Jimmy doing rolls in background; C6th ad-lib and ghost effects throughout by Buddy.

Last edited by scott murray on 25 Jan 2024 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 6:43 pm    

Check with Pat Coyne on Facebook. He owns a CD production company and did most of Russ’s stuff.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 6:48 pm    

When I was a wee tyke I listened to the Sho~Bud Showcase on WSM after the Midnight Jamboree. One night Jack Boles interviewed one of the principles of this record. A long time ago but I think it was Crawford. He said it was in progress but was hard to get done because of schedule coordination. Seems like it was at least a couple of years later before it came out.
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 5:51 am    

Buddy told me that he "blew out" his thumb working up "Devil's Dream".
Mike Polansky

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 4:45 pm    

I had never heard of this album until this thread popped up so I ordered a copy off of discogs for $12. My copy arrived today and it's signed by Jimmie Crawford.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 6:32 pm    

too cool! how much you want for it?? Winking

I've never seen that back cover photo before... it's about as good as the front

I'd forgotten that Buddy played all the bass on this album!

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 7:59 pm     Nashville Bar Association

I had a copy on CD that I recently sold, its out there. I didnt think it lived up to the star billing that it had. Not starting something here, just saying I expected to be knocked out, and wasnt.

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 10:26 pm    

That album cover is gold!
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2024 10:14 am    

As a side note...
John Macy owns that guitar now. It was at Jim Palenscar's shop a while ago, and we all had a chance to play it a bit. Even with the deadest of strings it still had that Emmons tone.
Kinda wish I'd bought it...oh well.