| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B - Bb LKV examples?
Jordan Yeo

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 7:21 am    

My MSA classic is set up for a B -> Bb on the LKV, and beyond combining it with my A+B to get a minor chord, I can't seem to figure out how folks are using this one so commonly. Any examples of licks that folks use it for on the regular? Thanks!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 7:32 am    

Look here:

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%20E9th/C6th%20On%20E9th.html

Many examples but start with "Diminished chord using split tuning on string 5" in the tab files section.

Also it's good for a 9th chord sound:

3rd fret, pick strings 3,4,5, no pedals (G major)
3rd fret, pick strings 3,4,5, LKV (A9th)
2nd fret, pick strings 3,4,5, LKV + pedal 2 (D13)
3rd fret, pick sting 3,4,6 no pedals (G major)

If you are in the key of G, go up to the 5th fret with pedals 1 and 2 and LVK, There's a HUGE array of sounds there including chords that can be played or slid into from other frets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 8:08 am    

Countless applications; my favourite knee-lever.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 1:45 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Countless applications; my favourite knee-lever.

LOL- my least favorite lever ! Laughing I currently drop 5+6 ( whole tone) on the V lever .

I know many players love the B to Bb, I've had it and used it, I'm in the group of "outsiders" I never incorporated it into my arsenal of 5 licks . Shocked

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 3:30 am    

yeah, that one just never did much for me.. If I had the lever these days as I did at one time, I would do what I used to on the rare occasion i wanted to drop the B a half tone. I would tune that lever to a full tone drop of the B string, and then simply "half pedal" it... I also tried putting a feel stop on it to "separate" the full and half tone lowers, but liked that less than just feeling/balancing it. In any case, the B-Bb lever would always be the first to go on my guitars.. never much liked it, and seldom used or needed it.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 3:37 am    

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I don't really have a 'favourite' knee-lever: last time I checked, they all looked pretty much the same.

But B-Bb? That, in conjunction with other pulls of course, is a chord-pedal for me. I'd be severely hampered without it which is why it has to be more readily accessible than on a vertical. I have it on RKL.

MY LKV raises the 5th from B to D; since the recent overhaul of my guitar and thanks to an ingenious extension to that KL, it's now getting lots of use.

The last thing I'd use the B lower for is a minor, pedals down: so many better (and more musically logical) ways to find a minor chord.

Tony: FIVE licks?? You must have been playing longer than me. Very Happy
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 5:41 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:

Tony: FIVE licks?? You must have been playing longer than me. Very Happy

LOL, Roger I didn't say I use the 5 licks I know !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 5:55 am    

Phew! That's a relief!!!

Whoa!
chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 6:48 am    

Split with the A pedal, A pedal down, minor…add B-Bb lever, minor maj.7….release both, minor 7,…add B-Bb lever, Dim.7……
a nice descending line I hear in a lot of music, not necessarily country…
Like Roger says, it is a chord lever, not a lick lever….I don’t use it that often, but would miss it if I didn’t have it.
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 7:42 am    

Drop your 9th string down to C#(use as root) w hopefully a lever on the right knee.

At 1st fret you gonna be able find a Dm7 add the B-Bb lever and turn this chord one into a Dm6(substitute for G7)

If you can use the LKL(E's-F) at the same time then you can do a D7 to D6

If you are able use the A pedal at the same time you can go from a Dmaj7 to a D6 just by releasing the A pedal while keeping the other knee levers engaged.

There is another way of doing the Dmaj to D6 tho, but that use strings 9 7 6 5 and A+B pedals only.

A+B+LKV(B-Bb)+LKR(E-Eb) is a super useful combo to insert a full diminished voicing in between a bunch of other 6th type chords(either the A+B type or the LKR(E-Eb) type 6th voicings)

B-Bb is however only one of many useful things that can be put on the LKV

Use what your musical ear tells you should be there.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 8:19 am    

Passing from, say, C major to F (1 to a 4 chord):

C at 3rd fret, pedals down, release the pedals, down to the 2nd fret, strings 9,6,5 with the 5th lowered, then release the KL and slide to the first fret (same strings).

That passing chord - the F#(b5) - is the tritone sub for C7th. The third chord is, of course, simply an F7th.

Bengt: The only disadvantage of my setup is that I can't lower the 9th and engage the B-to-Bb 'lower'; all in all, I'm so accustomed to it on RKL that I'm reluctant to alter it. Travis Toy has it on a floor-pedal and I see the advantage of that, but I want to be able to lower the Es and Bs along with my A and B pedal. 'On the floor' has its drawbacks.

As a much wiser player than me once said: 'You can't have it all.' You can, though, have what fits your musical priorities
Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2024 10:57 am    

Hi Jordan,

What is your full copedent? I’d like to see what combinations you have available with your vertical lever.

Thanks, Stephen
Jordan Yeo

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2024 7:24 am    

Thanks for the responses folks! Some things for me to check out. I actually ended up adding the franklin change over the weekend as a pedal 0, and really enjoying having it available.

Steve Leal wrote:
Hi Jordan,

What is your full copedent? I’d like to see what combinations you have available with your vertical lever.

Thanks, Stephen

Here's my copedent- I've got an MSA classic 12 string (2 up, 2 down changer), set up as E9 extended: