| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help needed with unconventional copedent - LDG 3x4
Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 12:04 am    

Hi all. Over a year ago I posted here seeking opinions on whether I should convert a 3x4 to some sort of C6th S10 or to proceed with E9th.

Fast forward to the present day, and I've decided to start putting my time into learning E9th but day one and I realise that the knees are set up in a completely unconventional fashion.

LKL raises Es to F.

LKR raises only 4th string F# to G. Is there supposed to be a 7th string F# to G on this lever?

RKL lowers D# to D/C#, but there is no 9th string lower to C# which I understand is standard.

RKR lowers both Es.

The way I see it, I'm missing two lowers (am I?) and the knees are not arranged conventionally. What's more, it doesn't look like I can make the necessary adjustments to get the knees where I want them to be. As you can see in the photo, I can't change my 1st string raise from the left knee to the right knee, where it should be.

I'm sort of stumped. I want to get this guitar set up at least into a kind of factory reset - so that I can make good use of basic E9th instruction - but I'm completely new to this and have nobody close by to guide me through the process. I know that for starters I need two pull rods so I can have my missing lowers.

What do you recommend I do? I appreciate any and all time in advance. Failing this, back to non-pedal C6th it is...
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 1:56 am    

Levi, hi

There is actually no such thing as standard. Except for the fact that I use the Day configuration (so that all the stuff on the left is reversed) my setup is the same as yours, although it does include the pulls you're missing.

Their lack didn't trouble the previous owner, though. There is an enormous amount you can learn with what you have. Acquiring the extra hardware can be your long-term project. Start learning today!

Good luck! Smile
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 5:50 am    

From what I can see on those pictures, the guitar is only missing two pullrods. It should be possible to move pulls to different knee levers if wanted without too much trouble.
Many setups do raise string 1 & 7 F#-G or F#-G# on both strings. Either one of those are useful and just depends what suits your musical ear.

B.Erlandsen
Remington S10LG 3+4
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 6:12 am    

It’s not THAT unconventional. Look at Lloyd Green’s(LDG) setup:

Did you mean your LKR raises 1st string F#-G? Especially if just learning you can get by without the “missing” pulls on 7+9. It seems daunting at first but it is less important WHERE the pulls are than understanding WHY they do what they do. I prefer my E lowers on LKR but many have them on RKL. I’d think about changing that one function but the rest I’d leave as is and learn the MUSIC, not some “by rote” mechanical function that simulates music. Also- lots of folks pull the 1st F#-G with a finger behind the bar. Look at it as another cool technique to learn if you don’t have a knee that does it!
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 6:41 am    

Levi, 4th string on an E9 is an E. Is that what you meant?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 9:32 am    

That’s pretty much the Stage One setup I learned on, except there is no half-stop on string 2, so you either get D# or D, but not both.

The lever on string 1 raising F#>G (assuming that’s what you meant) should also raise string 7 F#>G.

There is a ton of music in that copedent, and most beginner material will work on it.
Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 11:44 am    

Hi all, and thanks for your replies. It was a long day over here for me - I did mean 1st string F#, not 4th. Shocked

I appreciate the affirmation to get on with playing, and the reassurance that what I have is not too strange. Pedal steels are scarcely available in New Zealand and I don't want to be held back by some quirky setup I got used to in the beginning.

It's good to know that players who have already put years of work in approve of this to begin with. I will proceed.

Am I best to hang out here and on eBay looking for spare Sho~Bud parts? Or should I try and pick up some stainless steel rods elsewhere?
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 5:33 pm    

Dear Levi - You are good to go with what you have got! The five most basic and most used pedals and levers are all there: A B C pedals and E lowers E raises. Very standard. Will match almost all instructional material at your level and then some. Most tabs too. The Winnie Winston pedal steel "bible", for example, was made to play with just A B C pedals, and E lowers. Look at all the music that's in that course ! I agree with missing 7th and 9th string lowers being eventually needed, but not to get started, not at all. It will be a couple of years before you miss anything else I bet. Seems to be a great guitar !