| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Maverick parts
Kyle Minor

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 12:13 pm    

I'm new to the list, and glad to be here. I have a Sho Bud Maverick I bought from Arthur's Music in Indianapolis. It's a beautiful instrument, with three pedals and one knee lever tuned to a standard E9 copedant.

I am interested in adding some knee levers (and maybe also some pedals.) The very smart woman who restored this instrument says that adding levers and pedals is no sweat, but the hard part is finding the parts.

Does anyone here know where I might be able to source some Sho Bud lever and/or pedal kits?

Thank you,
Kyle Minor
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 1:58 pm    

The Maverick is a pull-release system, which means the basic changer can only raise strings. The lowers are done by holding a string(like string 2 Eb lowered to D) to pitch with a spring, and then releasing the tension of the spring with a knee lever. For a string to both raise and lower (for example, the fourth string E to F# with pedal C but also lowering it to Eb with a knee) can be done, but with a lot of messing around with counter springs and other add-ons that would be time consuming and expensive to fabricate. So yes, you could add a couple knee levers, maybe one raising the fourth string to F, which could be done with a stop underneath. Having a knee raising the first and seventh strings F#- G could also be done easily. ShoBud parts are a little hard to come by now since psgparts.com is down but there are some other people around who will chime in in this thread. Just don’t expect an awful lot out of a Maverick although they can be OK to learn on.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 8:54 am    

I have done what you are wanting to do and I'd recommend against it- especially since it has a pull release changer. You would be way ahead if you sold it and got what you are wanting. Just my humble opinion.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 9:06 am     Re: Sho Bud Maverick parts

Kyle Minor wrote:
The very smart woman who restored this instrument says that adding levers and pedals is no sweat…….

Not exactly “no sweat” as I explained above.

What Jim said is true.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.