| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How long is too long for an unopened pack of strings?
Doug Paluch

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2024 3:51 pm    

I found a couple of sets of Cobra Coil string sets. I cannot recall how old they are, but I gather at least 5-6 years? As much as I hate changing strings, I certainly don’t want to put a set on that is already bad…
Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2024 5:10 pm    

No corrosion no problem.
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2024 7:07 pm    

Store string packs in a sealed box with a bunch of desiccant/silica packs.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2024 8:13 pm    

You won’t know until you look at them, or try them on the guitar. I’ve used strings that are decades old, and they played fine. Of course, if they’re excessively rusty or corroded, you can probably can them unless you’re between a rock and the hard place. Oh Well

(A few small rust spots may be removed with crocus cloth, or a pencil eraser. )
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2024 8:25 pm    

In the past, Strings packaged in the plastic packs with flap top closure and paper envelopes are at the mercy of their surroundings. Near chemicals/salt in air or moisture can take its toll. They need protection from damp and corroding substances.

A few years ago SIT strings went to sealed envelopes for each string, With a corrosion inhibiter. Then set is sealed in a plastic package.
I ordered 6 sets of SIT strings from a supplier. About 4 to 5 years ago. 1 set was the old plastic pack with flap, And paper envelopes. 5 sets were packed with new sealed system. All the single strings I get made by SIT are sealed in plastic envelope also.
Never had a problem with rust since they changed packing.

I used to get 1 poplar name strings. The 3rd string had 2 rusty spots in same place on each string. Looked like some one ate potato chips on break, Didn't wash their hands.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 8:03 am    

I did an inventory this morning and I find I have maybe twenty-to-thirty E9th sets, six or seven C6th and countless singles (or remnants from broken packs).

Some of these are 10-+, even 20 years old!!! I have never had a problem with wound strings regardless of age, but lots of the plain strings are tarnished.

I just went to Juststrings and bought a dozen each of the plain gauges for both necks: it came to less than $30 and it's going to replenish my stock of strings for as long as I could possibly need them. Smile

PS: Some of the sets had Ron Lashley Sr's photo on the packet! That ages them.