| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Restored Welded Frame GFI ULTRA SD-10 3X5 $2750
Rob Pagliaro

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 4:46 pm    

This guitar was originally blue Mica that was peeling and had other cosmetic issues. But I was impressed with the GFI mechanics and sound so I bought a new
GFI to play while I took my time completely redoing the one pictured here. The frame, keyhead and pedal bar were stripped and powder coated in a gunmetal grey. I had the frame corners welded (I had previously owned a welded frame MCI) Aluminum changer fingers were re-polished. The body is 80 year old rock maple with real birds-eye maple veneer-not mica/dieboard as was the original. No pad, but I have the original pad if you want it.

Standard height
Lawrence 705 pickup
New GFI Case

Asking $2750 plus shipping. Guitar is in NYC area if you want to check it out in person.

link to more photos on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/ub1t1g41kcywfj16o5pu4/h?rlkey=b1mfuwwq0jssamq3mfrhl7lit&dl=0

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 10:54 am     Where's welddo?

An un-solicited endorsement:

I know Rob and I know this guitar. Its a super premium GFI. The restoration is superior to a new build. The wood used to replace the top is very old solid hard rock maple and the top veneer is premium figured maple under a 2 part catalyzed (Flawless) finish. The combination of the welded frame, superior solid old-wood top, and other details make this guitar ring with overtones like the best vintage Push-pull Emmons guitars. The note release and sustain are similar too..it's a cannon! The modern GFI pull system is great and tune-ability and stability are awesome. Rob is an incredible craftsman, and the work is beautiful.

Best to all...JW
widcj@hotmail.com
Rob Pagliaro

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 4:31 pm    

John,

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated. Full disclosure, John lent his expertise to this project in terms of guidance throughout the rebuild, and also on the final setup of the
guitar, after I had it mostly back together. John is the best musician I know, who could make a 2 x 4 strung with bailing wire sound musical, yet for some reason prefers to play Zums, Emmons etc. He's also a great steel guitar tech/restorer. Bob from GFI was also super helpful with parts and advice, their customer service is first rate.
Rob Pagliaro

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 6:21 pm     Restored Welded Frame GFI ULTRA Sold off site please close

Sold off forum, please close thanks
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 8:25 am    

Good job on the restoration. Every GFI has welded aprons to end plates. They have their own sound, and sound very good.
www.daddario.com/nyxl
www.bjsbars.com
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 8:56 am     Misinformation

GFIs are great, and the Aluminum frame is a a big part of that. With all due respect, the previous comment about all GFIs having welded frames is un-informed nonsense. They do not.

Happy New year
widcj@hotmail.com