| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where in the chain do you put effects,before or after volume
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 6:31 am    

I would like to know where in the chain do you put the echo and delay,From steel to volume 'to effects etc.

Thanks to all and have a great New Year

Carl
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it. Recently got a Sho-NUFF 6 string pedal steel in open G.Still learning.
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 7:40 am    

You'll get opinions but, I place reverb/echco/delay (spacial effects) after the volume pedal and pedals like overdrive/autowah/phase before the volume pedal.

Yep, I split my pedal board.

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 7:42 am     Where in the chain do you put effects,before or after volume

Thanks for your imput, i see on here a lot of suggestions delay then echo .
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it. Recently got a Sho-NUFF 6 string pedal steel in open G.Still learning.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 8:40 am    

What Howard says, plus delay before reverb. There's no point having the delay processing a complex low level signal when it can get its teeth into a fat one.
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 11:42 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
What Howard says, plus delay before reverb. There's no point having the delay processing a complex low level signal when it can get its teeth into a fat one.

We are in agreement Very Happy !!

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 12:00 pm     Where in the chain do you put effects,before or after volume

Thanks everyone.
Rich Arnold

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 2:00 pm    

I like to use an effects loop but my amp doesn't have one.
I go out of my guitar into an EQ. I dig the volume control on the eq box. Then to my volume pedal ( I rarely use it), through a delay, then compressor and into reverb and then into my amp.
But I won't recommend this. It's a matter a screwing around with it to get a good sound. I'm always tweaking my sound. It's a never ending game I think.