| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A new guitar, maybe?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 8:30 am    

I'm fancying buying another steel

Based on affordability and appearance, etc, I'm drawn towards either a Show Pro or a Mullen. My go-to guitar is my Emmons LG3 D-10. The Show Pro, while it lures me in the 'looks' department, might be too much of a departure, tonally speaking, while the Mullen may be closer to my Emmons in this regard.

This is a semi-serious survey but I'd be interested in any informed thoughts.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 9:43 am    

Life is short. Get one of each.

Depending on your wife's assessment, life might get even shorter.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 9:48 am    

Have you looked into Infinity yet, Roger? Frank isn't making them anymore but if you can find a pre-loved one, they are very impressive.
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 10:04 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Have you looked into Infinity yet, Roger? Frank isn't making them anymore but if you can find a pre-loved one, they are very impressive.

Coming from an Infinity owner I can tell you that is a guitar to find and buy... Out of everything I have owned from Franklin to whatever, Infinity is the ultimate top dog IMHO...

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 10:32 am    

How many Infinitys were made? Maybe it's just me being out of the loop, but it seems to me that after I first heard of Infinity on the Forum, it was only a couple of years till the reported end of production--and I have the impression it was a one-man operation. Possibly the shortest-lived brand ever?
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 10:37 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
How many Infinitys were made? Maybe it's just me being out of the loop, but it seems to me that after I first heard of Infinity on the Forum, it was only a couple of years till the reported end of production--and I have the impression it was a one-man operation. Possibly the shortest-lived brand ever?

Infinity is a one man show by Frank Carter. Great craftsman and great player too. Frank strived to build the ultimate machine and did just that. I believe there are about 35 in the world. I can't imagine the amount of hours it takes him to produce these guitars but it must be quite a few.

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 11:03 am    

An Infinty would be an attractive option but I fear the price tag might be prohibitive. This, after all, would/will be a non-essential purchase (I have three steels) and Swmbo may have something to say if it were to cost north of $6,000.

😄
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 11:04 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
An Infinty would be an attractive option but I fear the price tag might be prohibitive. This, after all, would/will be a non-essential purchase (I have three steels) and Swmbo may have something to say if it were to cost north of $6,000.

😄

6000 is about right for a used D10

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 12:10 pm     Mullen, Justice?

Hi Roger,
I just bought a custom Mullen and it arrived in April.
Really is a fine steel and for me the perfect fit and so very easy to play.
However the Justice steels look to be really nice and come in at a little less price wise. Also he will make it to your order so you pick the covering/s you like best from his site.
Both Mullen and Justice owners seem very happy with their steels.

Also didn't need any of them because I already had two fine pedal steels, but got the itch... Know how your feeling about that.

I got very close to getting a Justice after my Mullen arrived, but decided to get a couple of steels from Todd Clinesmith instead.
One is a Bigsby style 8 string short scale all polished aluminum JM lap steel that will be ready this weekend. I'm like a kid the days just before Christmas.
The other will be a Bigsby style T-8 and will be about 6 months to a years wait before it is done.

More steels than I need, but getting older and decided to treat myself before the management calls me home. Rolling Eyes Smile
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 1:42 pm    

Kline or Performance are two high-end guitars that should be looked at.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 3:08 pm     Which One?

I played a Sho-Pro at the Dallas Show a couple of years ago and thought it to be one of the best playing steels I ever sat down to. One thing that really caught my attention was the knee lever lowering the 2nd string half stop, worked way better than my Emmons. I have no feeling in my right leg, the result of a car wreck, and the Emmons half stop can't be felt because it's so subtle. But I could feel the stop in the Sho-Pro even though my leg is dead. If I needed another guitar, I would look at Sho-Pro or Justice.
Robert Rhea

Panama City, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 6:22 pm    

Have Fred Justice build you The Judge! A D-10 starts at $4695. Can't wait to get my SD-10 Pro Lite in September! Of course you can always buy my Cater D-10 after I get my Pro Lite...

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 6:33 pm    

You quoted Show-Pro and Mullen as the two makes you are considering. As I have no experience with the former, my opinion is probably incomplete, but I have owned 3 or 4 Mullen guitars and they are my favorite out of about a dozen or so guitars I've owned and played over 40 yrs....they are not cheap, but the basic mica no frills edition is competitively priced as major brands go.

The Show-Pros are definitely easy on the eyes and what I've heard of them sounds really good. I believe they are more akin to the Sho-Buds, so the Mullen may get you closer to the Emmons model.

Some of the other makes mentioned have some good reports too, but some are no longer manufactured if you're thinking new build...Good luck Exclamation
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 7:09 pm    

Roger, Mike Johnson plays both Emmons and Show Pro - doesn't seem to be much of a departure tonally when I have heard him play both in person Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 8:24 pm    

I certainly appreciate the input - thanks, everybody!

Resale is always an issue. The exotic brands (Infinity, Franklin) are usually fast sellers provided there's a buyer with the requisite funds. Zums sell fast and so do Emmons. It seems to me from casual observation that Show-Pros and Mullens are a little slower. The other brands even more so.

This is a factor.

It's been suggested that Show-Pros don't have split-tuning. I'm surprised if this is the case on such a modern guitar. I wouldn't be happy with that for my set-up.

I'm probably going to let my SD-10 JCH go to facilitate this. I love the JCH but I wish it was a D-10.

Once again, thanks fir taking the trouble to reply.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 8:43 pm    

I'd be surprised if someone didn't want that SD in trade on a really nice D-10. The JCH is a very desirable axe.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 8:48 pm    

Roger I suspect the Show Pros use the rodded split approach !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 10:02 pm    

Regardless of brand, I'd try for as different a tone as possible. I mean, why not? It's hard to count the number of times I've been listening to a great musician and thought "Well what a shame. If they were just playing a ~_~_~, they might amount to something."

I have a friend who got real deep into the Les Paul re-issue world (anytime you're worried you've finally gone round the bend just go to that forum). The tenon length, which side of the mountain did the trees grow n (No shert, shetlock!) how close in tone is the aluminum tailpiece from a new R8 vs. R9 vs. Cannibalized off a '62 SG (snif!) vs. a REAL one... Every other week Mike would come bounding in "I FINALLY FOUND IT! It's the ONE best Les Paul ever!" Until the next one.

Each and every one of them in circulation had (of course) originally been picked out off a huge wall full of them at XXX Music, and even the neighbor's pet turtle perked up when he heard THIS magic Paul. Ahem. Do I even need to say it?... nah, that would be cruel. But I don't think Mikey has any idea how close he came to getting konked on the head and buried with a Squier.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 12:38 am     Re: A new guitar, maybe?

Go for it Roger....Life is short...live for today Smile
Micky.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 12:56 am    

get another but DO NOT unload that L-III .

There are plenty of nice Steels out there waiting to be had, but I feel we need to use caution when we try to define " better", if better is our goal.

Different ? Sure, Better ? Not really sure what that actually defines.

I think the mention of re-sale is paramount, spending north of 3 or 4 grand and not being satisfied could cause us to take more medication! Sad

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 3:40 am    

I must stress at this point that my beloved new-in-2000 black LG-111 will never be for sale while I breathe.

David: Loved your Les Paul post! It's worth visiting the Wildwood Guitars web-page to read the eyewash they come up with in an effort to justify charging half-again as much as anyone else for their 'exclusive'inventory.

The old Mandolin Bros hyperbole was written with humour and Stan Jay had his tongue very firmly in his cheek. Those descriptions were good fun. Is anybodyreally taken in by Wildwood's (and other's) claptrap?
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 5:32 am    

I gather this is not for investment purposes. It also doesn't sound like it might be your ultimate guitar.
Resale is an issue, whereas with the LG-111 it is not. This new guitar could come and go. So many to try, too little time....

It seems the question would be if you were looking for something similar--tone wise, feel, maybe--to the Emmons
or if you're looking for something different, contrasting, as Dave eloquently points out. As you say,
Quote:
The Show Pro, while it lures me in the 'looks' department, might be too much of a departure, tonally speaking....
Is too much never enough? Or does the Mullen represent warm familiarity and a reputation of solidity?

Perhaps it's a mild mid-life crisis Laughing , thus the lure of the Show Pro, a very appealing build....

I have no informed thoughts on the subject. I'd become focused on finding an Infinity, searching the world over
at the sake of my career, so I don't think you're going to do that.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 6:16 am    

No, Charlie - just some idle speculation. I just feel like a new guitar. I'm currently playing between fifteen and seventeen sets or shows each week up here in ND and I feel I'm playing quite decently. Just building on some perceived euphoria...

Mullen? I'm going to be honest here, okay? I put their name in the hat purely because of that stunning photo of Our Hero Tommy White with his gleaming new black one (I assume it's a G2 - not sure). If there's a more illogical rationale I'd like to hear it! 😆

I still hate their fretboards.

I think you nailed it with your mid-life-crisis reference.

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 8 Jul 2017 8:16 pm; edited 7 times in total
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 6:25 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:

An Infinity? Perhaps, but despite their undoubted and well-deserved reputation at least one top notch player has left the fold.

Nah, pay no attention to that. You know how many different brands Tommy White has changed back and forth to...?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 6:33 am    

Jim:

No, not Tommy -he's had more different steels than I've had shirts.

Someone else re: Infinity. To the best of my knowledge TW hasn't had one (but what do I know?)