| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Extreme latency in Garageband
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 7:25 am    

I finally got around to trying to learn how to do some basic recordings and have been messing around with Garageband. I just want a setup that is simple and inexpensive, but functional. No heavy multitracking not many effects etc. I figured an Ipad with with a cheap interface would do. (Behringer 202HD)

When playing through studio monitors, the latency is absolutely ridiculous and is so distracting it is unusable. Playing through headphones is better, but I really prefer to play through a speaker. The iOS version is incredibly stripped down and there is no way to adjust the buffer size. I did a search and the only things I find are around using bluetooth speakers. These are regular studio monitors wired to the interface. I am wondering if this could be caused by the interface possibly or maybe just the fact that this is a basic iPad with only 128GB of RAM? It is still useful, just not ideal. I find it weird no one else seems to have this same problem. Anyone else using an iPad with GarageBand?
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 7:54 am    

Try turning off the wifi while using the beringer.

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 7:56 am    

Hi Tim!

Every latency problem I've had on my Windows PC has been immediately fixed by using different driver options. Usually everything loads with Windows Audio, which is basically unusable because it's so laggy. Then I have to switch to ASIO, and everything works great.

I'm not sure what the iOS/Garageband equivalent is, but maybe something like this?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254528902?sortBy=best

I'd look around for dropdown menus that give you different driver options. Hopefully this helps.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 8:27 am    

Thanks for the suggestions! I won't have any time to fiddle with it for a bit, but this sounds promising. This setup is weird with GarageBand, because it comes preinstalled and I am unsure what drivers they use, or if they can even be changed. I am sort of regretting the iPad purchase and thinking I would prefer an actual laptop. It is a really cool little device and with a cheap bluetooth keyboard it is just like a little laptop. Maybe somehow this is causing a problem???

I really don't understand the reasoning of Apple to not allow adjusting the buffer size. It just seems like one of the most basic functions of software like this. Hopefully there is a workaround. I am really bad with computer stuff, but trying not to get discouraged. Thanks again!
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 11:53 am    

Based on what you've described, it sounds like you're monitoring your guitar signal from garageband. You should be listening to your signal straight from the interface, and mute the channel in garageband that your signal is coming in to.

If you were to drag an mp3 into the session and play it back, that track is only being converted once, from digital to analog. When you monitor your guitar signal from the session rather than off the interface, it goes from analog to digital, then digital back to analog - and you'll always have latency. That's the whole appeal of interfaces that run dsp plugins from the hardware interface. You get to hear the plugin's effect without the signal going in and out of the computer before it gets to your headphones.

I know some people that use virtual guitar amp plugins like S Gear for recordings, but they have computers with lots of RAM and really high end interfaces. But even then, if you monitored from both the DAW and interface you'd hear an out of phase / doubling effect.
Justin Shaw

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 1:30 pm    

I use S gear for recording in Reaper, which is the cheapest non-free DAW. I use a scarlett 2i2 which is near the bottom for usb audio interfaces. My computer was pretty good 7 years ago when I bought it. I would say the OP is dealing more with ipad OS more than anything.

So that said I'll defer to the Apple users' experience, I just wanted to point out that on the Windows side you don't need too much of a setup to run VSTs in a DAW in a useable way. But maybe the ipad can't do it I'm not sure.
Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 2:22 pm    

I use a simple setup. Steel goes into a Mackie FX12 mixer. I monitor the live steel thru the mixer/power amp setup, and the tracks on GarageBand play thru the mixer, via USB, as well.

When I select to record the steel, it records fine, don't notice much latency. If I would pair Bluetooth headphones to the IMac and try and record, the latency is so bad it is impossible to record a track.

The iMac uses the Generic USB drivers for the Mackie mixer.

I've found using the Mackie mixer w/ usb to be the better way to go, as opposed to usb interfaces that are available.
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 10:37 pm    

Check the audio interface. Cheap ones lag.

Do what Justin says. I only use a desktop for DAW setups. A tablet usuly can playback audio but to record with one, I would avoid using them.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 6:45 am    

Brett Lanier wrote:
Based on what you've described, it sounds like you're monitoring your guitar signal from garageband. You should be listening to your signal straight from the interface, and mute the channel in garageband that your signal is coming in to.

If you were to drag an mp3 into the session and play it back, that track is only being converted once, from digital to analog. When you monitor your guitar signal from the session rather than off the interface, it goes from analog to digital, then digital back to analog - and you'll always have latency. That's the whole appeal of interfaces that run dsp plugins from the hardware interface. You get to hear the plugin's effect without the signal going in and out of the computer before it gets to your headphones.

I know some people that use virtual guitar amp plugins like S Gear for recordings, but they have computers with lots of RAM and really high end interfaces. But even then, if you monitored from both the DAW and interface you'd hear an out of phase / doubling effect.

This makes a lot of sense. I know there are people using the iPad with the irig2 for live situations, so I can't quite figure out why I am having this problem. Most are using separate amp software like BiasFX and not GarageBand, so that might have something to do with it. I suppose I could mic an amp if I don't want to use headphones.

Here is a question, do most people record steel (or electric guitar) using headphones to monitor or mic an amp using the the amp speaker to monitor, or play direct into the interface using headphones to monitor? I don't know why, but I just can't seem to play or practice while monitoring through headphones. My only experience with recording is from over 10 years ago with an old firewire interface and ancient Cubase software. It was all acoustic so I never dealt with this issue.

Quote:
That's the whole appeal of interfaces that run dsp plugins from the hardware interface.
what would be an example of an interface that does this?

Last edited by Tim Toberer on 21 Dec 2023 8:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 7:08 am    

This thread describes someone using basically my setup, but not having any issues. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/using-speakers-monitors-instead-of-headphones-when-recording.1089313/
He is using line out to stereo amp instead of monitors, but not sure why that would make a difference.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 9:36 am    

Bud Angelotti wrote:
Try turning off the wifi while using the beringer.
I tried this but didn’t seem to change anything.

I did some more experimenting and it seems the latency is coming from the Behringer. I get the same latency when monitoring with the headphones plugged into the iPad, or with them plugged into the Behringer. The latency is there no matter how I monitor the sound. I will see if the drivers can be updated I guess.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 11:41 am    

Ok I had a small breakthrough. The mix knob allows the processed signal from GarageBand (extreme latency) to be mixed into a latency free clean signal. This interface didn't even come with a manual so I am having to figure it out trial and error. I will call it a day on this. At least it was cheap! Laughing
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 4:01 pm    

That makes sense, Tim. I should have asked if you are using an amp or amp simulator pedal going in, or relying on amp sim plugins within garageband.

Since you’ve found the mix knob that lets you monitor your steel before it goes in and out of the ipad, you might also discover that you don’t even need the ipad hooked up or garageband open to get your steel to be heard through the monitors. You can use other apps like spotify or youtube to play music through your ipad and out to the speakers.

When I need to slow a song down or repeat sections over and over that I don’t have an mp3 for, I’ve found the easiest way is to screen record it on my iphone, air drop it to the computer, then drag it into logic. Garageband may not have the same slow down feature that Logic does, but there are other apps like The Amazing Slow Downer that would probably work on the ipad.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 6:26 am    

Brett Lanier wrote:

When I need to slow a song down or repeat sections over and over that I don’t have an mp3 for, I’ve found the easiest way is to screen record it on my iphone, air drop it to the computer, then drag it into logic. Garageband may not have the same slow down feature that Logic does, but there are other apps like The Amazing Slow Downer that would probably work on the ipad.
Thanks for the tip. Someone else recommended this for trying to figure out Vance Terry solos. Sounds very useful!