| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wound Sixth String
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 9:39 am    

Since it was a slow Saturday I decided to change my E9 GFI's plain sixth string to wound. Here it is Sunday and I am finally getting things dialed in. Just about when I think everything is good I notice a little problem.

Is it worth the trouble? Time will tell. I do notice a smoother more mellow sixth string sound. It has been not difficult, but definitely stop and go, tweek and move, one thing affecting another.

Something I have noticed for certain, I still sound like me.

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 6:12 pm    

A wound 6th sounds beautiful if you can make it work.

Sadly, when I swapped to a uni 12 I had to leave it behind - as what is also string 4 on the B6 it sounded dreadful!
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 6:42 pm    

I switched to a wound 6th for tuning stability and ended up liking the tone better too. It is more balanced and even sounding to me. I only have that one half step raise on it so it works fine.

LA,CA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 9:27 pm    

I switched to a wound 6th when I swapped the 6th lower for a 7th raise - whole tone.
I also think it sounds better, and I like the 7th raise more than the 6th lower.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 11:09 pm    

IMO the wound 6th is softer, sweeter but I think the plain string gives me the more percussive snap I like.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 1:15 am    

Yes, I enjoyed the wound, but I don't feel hampered by the plain.

Strange that it doesn't work the other way round - the wound 4th on B6 felt and sounded really out of place!
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 4:56 am    

Love the tuning stability and tone of a 22wound,,, but not loving the longer lever/pedal travel necessary for tuning. A good steel guitar repair tech can minimize the issue for those lucky enough to live near one.
Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 7:40 am    

My GFI E9 neck is still set up original, but to go to the wound string required changing the bell crank holes for more travel and then required making changes to the other string on my right knee left lever which also has a sixth string pull on it. Nothing very hard, just time consuming and having to either lay on my back to work on or turn it over and back up time after time to check.

I like it so far though and do not see going back. I had forgotten but my old MSA Classic came with a wound sixth, but for some unknown reason I changed it years ago.

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 8:05 am    

I've used a wound 6th my whole career, initially because my '73 Sho Bud came that way. Along the way I found out that it enhances tuning stability and minimizes cabinet drop. I don't lower the 6th, so no travel issues. The only downside is less "snap" returning to pitch. I've gone all the way up to a 26W from a 22W and this helps it act "snappier," if that's a word!

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 10:54 am    

Steve Mueller wrote:
I've used a wound 6th my whole career, initially because my '73 Sho Bud came that way. Along the way I found out that it enhances tuning stability and minimizes cabinet drop. I don't lower the 6th, so no travel issues. The only downside is less "snap" returning to pitch. I've gone all the way up to a 26W from a 22W and this helps it act "snappier," if that's a word!

I am using a .024 wound because I had one. It seems to work well. A .022 may have been better, but I did not have one at the time. I have ordered some and will use them if need be.

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 1:06 pm    

I also use a 022w.
You will have to pay attention to what the core string in the 022w is. Dont´t know but it is different from brand to brand. A d`Adario needs longer travel than a George L`s.
Tonewise and tuning stability it is better in my ears.
I'm with Skip`s comment.
Tone guru`s like JayDee, Tom B and Lloyd use 022w.
It will take a lot of travel - maybe 3 times. more that a 020p so it is not for all steels If you want a whole tone lower.
Anyway it is always a trade off.
Smile
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 2:44 pm    

I've been using a wound 6 for years for its tuning stability but I've never particularly liked the sound (and I certainly don't like the lever travel). But my #1 guitar has huge cab drop -- so much that even the wound string drops more than I'd like. I use a .024w to help get the full tone lower. .022 wasn't getting there for me. I can and do live with the sound.

I have a plain .020 on my push pull and it's just fine on that super stable guitar.
I've got a new guitar being made that promises very little cab drop and I look forward to using a plain 6 both for the sound (not without issues -- that fat plain string has its faults but as I said, I just don't care for that softer, fuzzy sounding wound string) and for a more human lever throw. It will be sweet to flick my knee instead of throwing it across the room.
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 4:36 pm    

I put a wound sixth on my GFI Ultra. My only preference for it is tuning stability. But outside of that I don’t have a preference for one over the other. I have gotten used to and kind of like the longer lever travel.