| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  **sold** Gibson Ultratone **sold**
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 4:10 pm    

Here is a rescued from dead white Ultratone. No case. Gibson's big postwar splash in new electric guitars was the ultra-modern 1946 Ultratone. Not a museum piece. When I obtained the instrument, its fragile molded Plexiglas peghead cover and fingerrest were both long-gone. Additionally, it appeared as if someone had spilt a rum & coke inside it a good 40-50 years previous; the rum had evaporated. The coke -- not so much. Consequently, the pickup was dead.

Sentell's in Sacramento rewound the pickup. I replaced the electronics with top-notch components -- CTS pots, Allparts repro speed knobs, orange drop caps, and a Switchcraft jack -- following Steve Ahola's wiring diagram:

I fabricated a new jackplate from pickguard material. Aside from the aforementioned electronics, and perhaps a few screws, all else is believed to be original. The body is heavily weather-checked, and its clear coat has peeled off in places. It is structurally perfect, however. The Lucite fretboard is in good condition; no missing or glued corners and minimal crackage around its screw holes. The original plastic buttons on the Klusons are in good shape. Plays like a dream and sounds like a million bucks. Not much to look at or ogle, but player-grade excellent, and good to go for another 70-something years or more.

Strung up for standard C6 (C-E-G-A-C-E). Get this honest, genuine, authentically relic'd classic for $800 plus $100 to cover shipping & insurance via USPS. (I shipped a double-boxed lap steel from S Colo to Houston, TX yesterday, insured, for about $110.)

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 5 Jan 2024 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 10:28 am    

New Year's deal: $800.00 shipped to lower 48.

Last call before listing on Reverb.com Jan 2, 2024.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 9:37 am    

Sold.

Thanks to all who inquired.