| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  UAFX Dream ‘65
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 7:44 am    

Has anyone tried it with steel? It apparently breaks up early, but I’m wondering if the master volume can mitigate that, kinda like running a Quilter with the master dimed and the gain as low as possible. The speaker cabinet options feature an EV12 and a JBL D-120f, which should be nice for pedal steel.
Justin Shaw

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 12:54 pm    

I have not tried it but in my experience it is usually impossible to get a very clean sound out of a pedal that has a gain knob when using a pedal steel. The high output of the PSG's pickups is usually enough to drive the pedal.

Also, having tried a bunch of UAFX pedals I must say I've been pretty unimpressed with both the tone and the build quality. I couldn't believe how physically hot to the touch the Golden Reverberator reverb pedal got after an hour of playing.
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 8:34 pm    

Interesting. Their fx pedals are not really in my radar for some reason. But I might get the Dream 65 anyway for guitar duties. For pedal steel, I always ended up with a Quilter one way or another.
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 3:27 pm    

I have two of these on my guitar pedal board and love them. The trick to the pedal is running it in four cable mode and patching it through your amps effects loop. In this mode, when you turn the pedal on the preamp in your amplifier is bypassed and the pedal only uses the power amp section of your amp. You are able to retaining crystal clean sounds at high volume this way. I have tried it with my steel and it holds up well and really acts like and behaves like a Fender amp. With that said i don't think there are many Fender amps that don't break up at mid to high volumes. Even the 135 Watt Twin will breakup with a steel. Overall its a great pedal!!
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 7:02 pm    

Thanks Ron! Have you tried it in an ampless setup, with in-ear monitors, or recording straight from the pedal? And why do you have two? One for steel and one for guitar?
Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 9:19 pm    

IIRC, Jim Cohen uses one for all of his fly dates for both tele/steel, he may be able to give you some insight/feedback. I tried one and didn't care for it so I sent it back.
Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 3:59 pm    

I have one and it works just fine, no problem getting clean sounds. I use it it for all my church gigs now and at home in my studio. Somehow it feels like you are playing through a real amp.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 4:47 pm    

Andy Vance wrote:
IIRC, Jim Cohen uses one for all of his fly dates for both tele/steel, he may be able to give you some insight/feedback. I tried one and didn't care for it so I sent it back.

Yes, I have been using one for all of my fly dates for both Tele & Steel and have been very happy with the results. I have not found the steel guitar pickups that I use to overdrive the amp and as far as I can tell, the sound is clean. Now this might not be the case if you’re using it to drive speakers in a club setting, but these are theater gigs for me and the output goes to a DI and then to the board. I get the signal back in the wedge. I’m about to convert to using IEM’s, however, so I have not yet tried it with them.
Justin Shaw

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 5:52 pm    

This is all good to hear I might have to check it out sometime too.
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 7:06 pm    

Alex,

I have used the pedal in the studio with out an amp and just leveraged the internal speaker sims. It sounds great for steel and guitar both. In my opinion its is about as close as you can get to a 65 Deluxe without forking out 3-4k for an original Fender. [/quote]
Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 1:47 pm    

I have the Dream on my pedal board and run it directly to FOH-no amp, just in ears or headphones. Signal chain is: guitar, pedalboard, '65 Dream, direct box, PA system. It's the best sound I have gotten through a PA including real Fender tube amps, for a lot of years. I have only recently felt like I could start using a preamp pedal (starting with the Iridium) without an amp. Since the Dream has a pre set plus a live setting, You could use the pre set for guitar and the live setting for steel. It works great with my pedals (including overdrives) also.

Of course it goes without saying that you already need to like the sound of a Fender Deluxe Reverb, which I do. I originally had a Strymon Iridium but now use the '65 Dream. I thought the Iridium sounded more like the normal channel of a Deluxe Reverb. Only thing I noticed about thr Dream is that it can be a little bright with single coils but then so do Deluxe Reverbs.

I have also listened to recordings of the band numerous times and thought the Dream sounded great.