| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First Pedal Steel Ever! Couple Questions from a Beginner!
Jeremy Regan

New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 12:03 pm    

Hey Y'all! I've been playing guitar for 16 years. Always wanted to break into Pedal Steel. Just pulled the trigger on an auctioned off Sierra Olympic Natural Pedal Steel Guitar (3 pedals and 3 knee levers). Couple of questions:

1. I won it for $1,200 with confirmation that it's in working order. Did I get a good deal? Seems like most Pedal Steels Guitars quite a bit more expensive. Let me know your honest opinion.

2. Most sources say 3 pedals and 4 knee levers is the way to start. Is the lack of a 4th knee lever going to set me back?

Either way, I'm very excited to get started on this journey!
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 12:11 pm    

You got a great deal provided it is in proper working order.

As far as knee levers, yep, 4 is optimal, but 3 will certainly do the job.
Be sure the 3 levers raise the 4th and 8th, lower the 4th and 8th and lower the 2nd, preferably a half and whole tone but you can surely get by with either.

Now get to picking and let me know if I can ever be of service.
Regards,
Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 12:31 pm    

If it works well, that is an excellent deal. While 4 levers is certainly a conventional wisdom, if you've got 3, you have plenty enough to get going with.
With no idea where in NY you are, I am here in Saugerties, NY, ready to help out.
That's not spam. It's steel guitar.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 3:00 pm    

What the gents above said...

The 3 common knee-lever changes Bill mentioned, plus the 3 standard pedal changes makes up the core of the E9 system.

We know this because almost everyone has those basic 3x3 changes on their guitar. Meanwhile, what people do with their 4th (or 5th) knee lever is all over the map... which indicates that those additional changes fall more into the "nice to have" category rather than being "must haves."

Of course, once you add those extras, they worm their way into becoming "must haves" for most folks, but really, 3x3 covers the basic waterfront and it's a fine platform to start learning on.
Jeremy Regan

New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 3:23 pm    

Thank you all so much for your helpful tips! @Jon I live in NYC but head up to the Albany Capital Region quite often for work and would love to stop by sometime.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 8:31 pm    

3 Pedals/3 Knee levers set up as in Mr. Ferguson post has a lot of possibilities and learning opportunity on a steel guitar.

Being a 6 string picker, Get a Mel Bay E9th Chord Chart, (Sold under instruction section here on the forum).
The chart shows Major, 7th, Minor, Dim., Aug. chords. Shows bar position, Knee levers and pedals use to accomplish each chord.

The chart will allow you to take a lot of your 6 string knowledge to the E9th neck.

Good Luck on your journey with Steel Guitar.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 4:02 am    

Feel free to stop by on your way up to Jon's, I'm just outside of Peekskill, which is where fellow forum member Bob Riedl also lives. Have fun and ask questions when you have them.