| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal rod bowed
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 5:46 am    

Hey FoBros -

I just noticed that my C pedal rod is slightly bowed (see photo). What the heck? What could have caused it? Is it a serious issue that will damage the guitar if left unattended? Can it be fixed? Do I need a new rod? I don't recall any traumatic event involving the pedal rods, like kicking the or kneeing them or even dropping the case. Can't say tuning the guitar has changed -it has never been particularly difficult or finicky.

Also I just noticed for the first time that the A pedal twitches slightly when I depress C. Nothing obviously wrong underneath. My ear does not detect a difference in the string 5 note whether raised by A or C. But again, is this an issue that becomes a problem if left as is? Of course I want the guitar to be perfect but at the same time I don't want to be enemy of the good. If I start mucking around with the guitar, I'm not certain I could get it back to playable.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 6:10 am    

The rod is just soft steel, take it off the guitar and flex it until you get it straight. You aren't going to hurt anything.

Your thought about being the enemy of the good is very good also, and I'm going to try to make those words to live by! Forget about both issues because they are very unlikely to ever become problems.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 6:11 am    

Sometimes, you might hit the rod while removing the guitar from the case, or bend it with your knee when you're behind the guitar. No biggie, just take it off and straighten it with your hands.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 6:17 am    

Excellent no-nonsense advice from two of the Forum's sages! Relieved it's nothing serious - thanks guys!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 6:55 am     Re: Pedal rod bowed

Frank Freniere wrote:

Also I just noticed for the first time that the A pedal twitches slightly when I depress C......

Also not a problem. If there were a detuning problem, then yes, something is probably overtuned. But with no detuning issues, it's just the pedals' resting points moving around and there is nothing at all to worry about.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 6:59 am    

Whew - thanks, Jon!
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 12:27 pm    

My only thought (AND IN THEORY) is you might get a slight “unsolid” feel as the rod starts to tension and tries tostraighten.
Regarding the twitching of the A pedal - that is a bit puzzling. It suggests the C bellcrank rod is moving the A pedal bellcrank rod but I wouldn’t have thought that was enough to move the cross rod and by extension the A pedal. Unless there is some overturning of the A pedal B string.

I’m probably overthinking this.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 12:45 pm    

John Hyland wrote:
My only thought (AND IN THEORY) is you might get a slight “unsolid” feel as the rod starts to tension and tries tostraighten.
Regarding the twitching of the A pedal - that is a bit puzzling. It suggests the C bellcrank rod is moving the A pedal bellcrank rod but I wouldn’t have thought that was enough to move the cross rod and by extension the A pedal. Unless there is some overturning of the A pedal B string.

I’m probably overthinking this.

With no springs to suspend a pedal above the rod slack (some steels have these springs...the Encore does not), gravity pulls the pedal down and takes out some of that slack. If the nylon nut rests against the finger hole (with no actual pull, no pressure on the changer), then with the A or C pedal pulling the raise finger, any extra slack in the other's assembly can result in a little bit of pedal movement in the idle pedal.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 2:33 pm    

Williams has a way to deal with slack movement...but don't bother
From Bill Rudolph when I asked him what it was:
The little black “L” spring is to keep the KL from flopping around while you’re playing the other pedals or KL’s.
It keeps the “ghost player” from moving the KL.
Strictly cosmetic.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 6:17 pm    

That happened to me way back in 1974 or 1975. I was playing at a jam session after an Oklahoma Country Music Association event, when Jerry Brightman walked in. The Buckaroos were playing at the Diamond Ballroom that night. Some of Mel Tillis' band were there and decided to pick. Jerry asked if he could play my guitar. While moving it into position I plopped it down over a plastic drink cup that was under a pedal. Boom - freaked me out, but it went back into shape after a little massaging.

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 9:23 pm    

The kids or the dog done it.!!!!!!
It would help take a little spongy feel out of the pedal if you straighten the rod. Take the rod off, Hold it by both ends. Sit in a chair and bend it around your knee gently, Then look/site down the rod for straightness.

The A pedal moving, When you press C pedal is no problem.
Any guitar that has no return springs on the cross rods, Will allow other pedals to move when a pedal or knee lever is pushed, Which are sharing the same changer lever.

When I went from an MSA Classic (Which had return spring) to a S12 guitar with no cross rods springs. Push the A pedal on this guitar the 7th pedal moves, It shares the 5 string pull to C# on both pedals.

Good Luck on the cure, Happy Steelin.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 3:09 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
The kids or the dog done it.!!!!!!
It would help take a little spongy feel out of the pedal if you straighten the rod. Take the rod off, Hold it by both ends. Sit in a chair and bend it around your knee gently, Then look/site down the rod for straightness.

The A pedal moving, When you press C pedal is no problem.
Any guitar that has no return springs on the cross rods, Will allow other pedals to move when a pedal or knee lever is pushed, Which are sharing the same changer lever.

When I went from an MSA Classic (Which had return spring) to a S12 guitar with no cross rods springs. Push the A pedal on this guitar the 7th pedal moves, It shares the 5 string pull to C# on both pedals.

Good Luck on the cure, Happy Steelin.

Thanks, Bobby!