| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Tone Block 202 or Mach II or Mach 3
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 7:47 pm    

I think the Tone Block 202’s sound good but anyone tried Mach 2 or Mac 3? Quilter speakers or something else?
Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 9:58 am    

I've seen some previous posts on these amps that you might search. I'll be interested in any posts this one gathers. I use the 202 but I'm curious about the other options listed as well. They might provide some more interesting EQ options.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 2:12 pm    

I have a Mach II combo with an 8” speaker. I’ve been using it a lot, often with an extension JBL speaker but sometimes with the stock speaker. The sound engineers love it too because the direct out sounds great. It has lots of EQ options but the basic “Full EQ” option always sounds best to me for steel. If Quilter made a block amp with just that setting, a two control reverb, standard bass/mid/treble controls, and a direct out, I would buy it. BTW the tone controls are super responsive. The only issue is that the signal from the direct isn’t always enough and the only way to get more is to be louder onstage…I guess the work around is that the sound engineers really have to crank the channel up…I guess it makes them nervous 😂

The Mach III has a volume control for the direct out.

It’s only an iPad recording (video) but here’s a sample of a sho Bud I just picked up with the Quilter and JBL extension speaker.
https://youtu.be/v_bDjdcEJ6w?si=TFpXiCGZX0mNWsvb
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 7:48 pm    

I have the 202 tone block and the Micropro Mach II 12 inch combo. It took me a lot of time and outboard eq to like the Mach II. The amp is small, light and powerful but wasn't really great for steel without the extra help. The tone block is better with the Quilter cabinet. The Mach 3 might be good but I haven't tried it.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 10:17 pm    

When I went to lightening my equipment weight, I built a Maple cabinet with a Eminence EPS-15C speaker. I ordered and got the first Quilter Tone Block 202 in our area. My total Amp set up is 25lb. I had to get a set of heavier cables to get the tone I wanted on the TB 202.

2 other local steelers now have TB202's, To lighten there equipment.
I would like to try some other Quilter amps, To compare them to each other with my guitar.
Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 11:51 am     Tone block 202

Bobby, would you define "heaver cables" please and the tone difference. Thanks
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 10:55 pm    

I was using a set of .155 cables I had used on several amp setups, No problem, I could get the tone I wanted.
When I went to the TB 202, Could not get proper sounding treble. I changed to .240 set of cables, Was able to adjust the TB 202 for the tone I wanted.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 6:22 am    

Aren't the cables inside the same, just different outer diameter/thicker rubber cladding? At least that's how George L's work.