| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old dog learning new tricks from Alan Akaka
Michael B Scott

Orlando Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 3:37 am    

As a self-taught banjo, fiddle, guitar and dobro and lap steel player i am all for listening and using your ears to learn…and Jimmy Heffernan and Troys downloaded lessons have been very helpful….but…

i embarked this year to leave G tuning and take up C6 and learn the Hawaiian steel melodies haunting me for years…so…

i signed up for beginner Zoom group lessons with Alan Akaka and he has been invaluable in helping me with the technical aspects of steel, really helping me get to the next level in playing clean and connected. He has helped me add palm blocking to my dobro left hand blocking and has really helped me with those little pearls of knowledge improving my slants and harmonics. The lesson tabs, lyric and chord sheets, backing tracks and video taped lessons are an amazing value. These are combined with the background info shared on each song we learn and above all his amazing aloha spirit. Learning can be tough but at 67 UNLEARNING is a bear!

i highly recommend considering some lessons from one of the many great teachers out there (many appear on this forum all the time) to build solid basics…even if you taught yourself a great deal…i have to admit a teacher can really make a difference!

A big thanks (mahalo nui loa) to all the teachers out there and those who share so may valuable tips on this forum, as a boy in the sticks it was just me and a record…but now an amazing amount of knowledge is only a few clicks away…these are wonderful times to have lived to see
Keith Aiken

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 4:38 am     Old dog learning new tricks from Alan Akaka

how much are the zoom lessons? set time?
Michael B Scott

Orlando Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 5:04 am    

Keith - you can learn more at the site at kekulamele.com

The group beginner lessons are $60 per month, meetings are every Sunday at 5:00 eastern for 45 minutes

Individual lessons are available at $35 per half hr or $65 per hour and I think there is a discount if booking 5 or more

If you want to sign up you send Alan an email

I believe John Ely (hawaiiansteel.com) and Mike Neer (steelinstruction.com) also offer online individual lessons, both of these teachers are highly recommended