| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3rd string breakage at the changer finger
Hamilton Belk

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2023 3:45 pm    

My 3rd string keeps breaking at the changer finger, Usually after a few weeks. I guess the changer is not perfectly smooth. What's the remedy? Do I need to replace it?

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 5:37 am    

Use a 0.012" string.

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 8:26 am    

That would have to be strung tighter, and if the finger is the problem it will break sooner. I would give the top of the finger a sand and polish to begin with.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 8:30 am    

Yeah, what Kelcey said. But you should also polish the top of that finger as it looks a little rough. Get some Simichrome or other metal polish, and a piece of heavy felt, and polish the top of the finger. (You can also use a Dremel tool or drill with a small felt wheel.) Use tape to mask on either side of the finger, as you you don't want the polish getting in between the fingers!

Another tip is to put a tiny drop of oil on top of the finger where the string sits, then wipe it off with a paper towel. Enough oil will stay under the string to lubricate it and reduce wear of the aluminum finger.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 9:41 am    

I wish steel manufacturers would use replaceable changer top caps. Changer wear on top is a common issue and causes premature string breakage and oftentimes string buzzing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 10:11 am    

What Donny said. I use a very fine grit wet/dry paper to barely touch up the groove and polish with a felt wheel on a dremel type tool. Don't apply too much pressure when sanding as it may give you a flat spot.

Quote:
I wish steel manufacturers would use replaceable changer top caps.

ZB Custom used to have them, and they were stainless. I don't think I ever had a groove or burr problem on either of the two ZBs I had.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 10:44 am    

As others suggested. The top of the finger could use a little smoothing and polishing.
It could be you have got some bad strings. If the wire stock was not properly heat treated, The string being bent will work harden quickly, From being bent over the finger.

Some strings will give a warning they will stiffen and make weird buzzy sound, Then they brake.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 4:47 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I wish steel manufacturers would use replaceable changer top caps. Changer wear on top is a common issue and causes premature string breakage and oftentimes string buzzing.

Me too! In the battle of steel string vs aluminum finger, who do you think will win?
The fingers on the OP’s steel guitar look like they have been through a war.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 9:37 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:

Gregg,
My old RusLer steel has replaceable tops on the finger radii. I never had to do it, but, I could turn it around or switch it with another one that was in good shape. However, they are stainless steel and quite hard.
I always thought it was a good feature to have.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 9:52 pm    

How many weeks is a few? Is this string longevity abnormal for your guitar?

It's not unusual for 3rd strings to break after 3 or 4 weeks, some sooner, depending on how much you play and the guitar you are playing. Some guitars break more strings than others. Dunno why.

FWIW, I concur with the polishing suggestion. Your finger grooving seems normal for guitars that have been played several years. The point at which your pics show the string break appears to be the normal area strings break from fatigue. Just clean and polish it. If you don't want to go up to a .012 gauge, a 011.5 is a good alternative.

Never hurts to try a different supplier for single 3rds. as bad batches have been known to be seen now and again. I've had whole packages of 6 or a dozen .o12s that were inferior from a known good supplier. It happens.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2023 9:36 am    

When installing new strings run your finger over the bead end to feel for the end of the wire where it is clipped after twisting around itself. Best practice is to always set the smooth side against the finger, the clipped wire end facing away from it. It's a small thing but still enough to break strings before their time.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2023 9:40 am    

Excellent tip Dave. Thanks for that reminder.
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2023 9:35 pm    

I'd "shoe shine" sand it with 400-600 grit sandpaper until you can run your fingernail over it from side to side and it feels completely smooth. That should solve your problem. That being said, if you play a couple hours a day, those strings have lost their life before they're 3-4 weeks old. I change mine every 2 weeks or so.

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2023 5:55 am    

Many thanks for the tips and advice everyone!