| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best battery powered reverb?
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2023 10:01 am    

I've been going to a lot of rehearsals lately. It actually helps. Anyway I've been bringing a "practice rig". I've been using an old zoom multi-effects that I don't like too much. I'm looking for a decent sounding reverb pedal, but would like to run it off a battery rather than try and find an extra plug, so battery life is important. Some of the newer pedals take like 100mA, which really eats batteries.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5. Both amazing guitars! Homemade buffer/overdrive with adjustable 700Hz "Fender" scoop., Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x TDA7294 80W class AB amps, or 2x BAM200 for stereo. TT12 and BW1501 each in its own closed back wedge. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2023 10:49 am    

I'd be curious about this too. Most digital pedals draw relatively high current, and sometimes it's inconvenient to find a place to plug in another wall wart.
Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2023 11:48 am    

Almost all modern reverb pedals are using chips that use so much current that they can't run on 9v batteries. I use a Caroline Meteore that works for a while on a battery, but it's distinctly and deliberately lo-fi, which may be awesome if you're me, but may be terrible if you're one of the players looking for a smooth, glossy, modern sound.

Another option is one of the pedalboard power supplies that can operate off of almost any power input, including a common lithium USB backup battery. I have one, and it can drive a lot of bigger pedals (although there's a limit to how many it can drive at once), because the USB battery can deliver a lot more current.

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2023 12:45 pm    

If you're using the MG-50 it's worth installing the effect manager and adding the Spring 63 patch to try out. It's much better than the standard one.

Otherwise, Dave makes a good point - reverb is a pretty processor heavy effect and will drain battery pretty fast on any normal unit.

May be worth considering a more basic analog delay to get in that neighborhood of filling out sound a little.
Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2023 6:03 pm    

There are usb to 9v conversion cables which would allow you to use a power bank for the reverb pedal, but make sure you get it with centre negative.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2023 10:10 am    

I’ve been using these since they came out in the early 2000’s. I keep one with me on the road for tuning with headphones. The reverb sounds great, and battery life is very good.

There’s a bit of a cult following with them, sometimes they’re really expensive. Here’s a cheap one.

https://reverb.com/item/58666216-korg-toneworks-px4?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=58666216
Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2023 10:49 am     pedal battery

I have been using this battery pack for quite a while. Mostly to reduce noise but it's really convenient. Has USB out but I use the 9V barrel connectors to power both of my small pedal boards (pictured) and my Hilton VP. Usually 4 pedals on floor board. I get about 8 hours of playtime. Recharge time is 8 to 10 hours from empty. Essentially overnight prior to gig. Only downside is self-discharge. It will completely discharge itself (no load) in about a week.

Ken Jameson

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2023 5:16 pm     Battery reverb

I use the Danelectro spring king, I use it with a
Fender bassman head as well as a crate power block.
It has a small spring tank in the pedal.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 3:39 pm    

Bruce Derr wrote:
I'd be curious about this too. Most digital pedals draw relatively high current, and sometimes it's inconvenient to find a place to plug in another wall wart.

Yes, and they draw current even when the reverb is switched off. So whenever I'd use a battery reverb or delay when I was playing out, I'd unplug it between sets. Winking