| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help, messed up my nuts!
Cole Weidenbach

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2023 8:43 pm    

I mistakenly applied oil on my roller nuts, and it soaked into the "axle" assembly over time. Now my beloved 5th string roller is a tad loose and wobbly. At room playing volumes I hear it make a sound similar to not pressing the bar down enough... I'm thinking I should wipe it down without removing the assembly, restring/tune, and then apply Locktight. Do y'all think this is a good conservative first attempt or what would you do?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2023 9:23 pm    

What do you mean the roller is “loose and wobbly”? Do you mean when there is a string on the roller pulled up to pitch? Or do you mean it’s like that when there is no string on the guitar? It’s common practice to oil the rollers, and no harm will ever come by it. In no case should Loctite be applied to anything but screw threads! If the hole is enlarged or “egged”, it indicates the guitar was not maintained properly, but read on…

Now, if you have a wobbly roller that's making noise, you can sometimes fix that by adding a drop of oil where the string contacts the roller. Or, with the string slacked, try rotating the roller a half-turn, and then retune the guitar and see if that helps. If the rollers are not gauged, you could also swap that roller with the one on the 9th or 10th string, as the heavier gauges are not as prone to rattle.

Ideally, you should replace the roller, or the entire roller nut assembly if the problem continues to be bothersome.

However, if the noise is not coming from the loose roller (and that is possible), you’ll have to resort to something else.
Cole Weidenbach

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 5:20 am    

I don’t think it’s “egged” as the PSG is only 8 months old and the slack is mostly lateral. The movement is noticeable even when tensioned by the string and in tune.
Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 7:47 am    

Loctite is the last thing you want to use, it will no longer be a roller nut! Although it shouldn't rattle, being new really has nothing to do with it because it would take decades to wear them out, it may not fit well from the factory. Try winding your string at bit of an angle to put pressure on one side of the roller nut.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 6:54 pm    

Cole Weidenbach wrote:
I don’t think it’s “egged” as the PSG is only 8 months old and the slack is mostly lateral. The movement is noticeable even when tensioned by the string and in tune.

In that case, I'd contact the manufacturer and request a new roller, which may or may not fix the problem if the gap for the roller in the nut support is simply too wide. Personally, I wouldn't advise making the string pull at an angle to eliminate the looseness, as that can cause increased hysteresis and tuning problems.

I've never really seen this problem, personally, but I have noticed that some manufacturers use very skinny brass rollers, which would make the rollers less robust, causing this problem (worn or damaged rollers) to be far more likely to occur.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2023 3:03 pm    

What make is the guitar having this problem?

If the strings are old, Check where the 5th string rolls over the top of the changer finger, The string may have hardened and is raised up off the finger.

Mechanically it could be the 5th roller its self, Too narrow for the slot in the nut comb itself. Also check the slots, The 5 slot could be cut just a little wider and causing the problem.

Being a new guitar, The nut roller may have been assembled with some sort of stiff grease on the rollers, When you added oil, It thinned the grease and now the roller moves so easy, The roller may be viberating when the string is picked. Causing the sound.

Good Luck finding the problem and cure, Happy Steelin.
Cole Weidenbach

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2023 6:24 am    

It's a Stage One. Now that I recall, I bet I did wash out some stiff grease. Before applying rem oil, the rollers were firm and rolled with a nice "gritty" resistance feel. I'm going to try some grease I have and if that doesn't work I'm sure Doug can point me in the right direction. I'm glad I didn't move forward with the locktight, I can be impatient. Laughing
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2023 2:04 pm    

Yes go to the manufacturer. That is what warranties are for! Let us know the answer and good luck
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 11:57 am    

Stage ones don't have enough downward angle toward the machine heads. Save up for an Encore. R P

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 1:39 pm    

Cole, put the bar on the 2nd fret, resting the heel of your hand on the nut…and play some notes and chords.

Does the noise go away?

If it doesn’t, there is probably nothing really wrong with the nut or rollers.