| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1999 GFI D-10 set up
Dave Chapple

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2023 8:55 am    

Greetings all,
This is my first post. This is a special place realized by the collective spirit of steel guitar players around the world and feel honored to now have this connection. And a big heavenly high-five to b0b who created this forum. I have spent a few weeks reading through posts, trying to visualize all of these notes and pedals.

Recently I acquired a 1999 GFI D-10. I have created a chart showing the E9 tuning copedent. It appears to be set up differently from the modern GFIs
https://www.gfimusicalproducts.com/_files/ugd/deb4ea_251fce42a83a4cab8b68d5b01babcda0.pdf

However it resembles some similarity to the chart found here:
https://b0b.com/wp/copedents/e9th/

I realize the knee levers are all "up for grabs" as far as where they go. In my case the RKL does not have a move on the D# 2nd string or G# 6th string.
It is actuating the 1st and 7th string. I have seen this set to G and G#. Currently I have my 7th string set to just a G to see what that sounds like Smile. The 1st string is G#.

Curious what you guys think. Moving forward, taking online lessons and learning, is it OK to continue with this set up?

Thanks for any advice.
DC

SEE CHART:

[/url]
Mike Polansky

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2023 11:03 am    

I've got three steels right now and they've all got a different RKL setup.

Most instructional materials and lessons will only deal with the three pedals and the knee levers that raise and lower your Es. Maybe a little bit with the 2nd string lower on RKR. There's not really any standard for RKL so you can ignore it until you're ready and then learn to make fun sounds with what you've got it or change it to something that suits you more.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2023 12:35 pm    

I had a used 2000 year model Ultra D-10. It was set up per the current GFI D10 chart.
RKL raised 1st string F# to G#, 2nd string D# to E and 6th string lower G# to F#.

The D-10 was traded for and had several owners, including Billy Coopers store. Don't know how it came from factory.
Dave Chapple

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2023 7:52 am    

Thanks for the replies guys. I can slide forward with confidence. :-0.
RE: the 7 string, if it were you, would you see more use as it raising to G# or G?
It has a bit of a bluesy interval with the G.
Dave Chapple

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2023 7:52 am    

RE: the 7 string, if it were you, would you see more use as it raising to G# or G?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2023 8:35 am    

Dave Chapple wrote:

I have the 7th string F# to G raise on my RKR lever. Buddy Charleton called it his Ernest Tubb lever.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2023 8:45 am    

Dave -- there is SO much that can be discussed re: F# > G vs F# > G# vs changing that raise to a 6th string lower instead. And none of the choices is wrong.

Until you come across the need for one or the other in the course of your studies and have a better personal gasp of which might suit you best, I suggest that you are best off leaving it as it is. I see no advantage to changing anything.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2023 10:11 am    

I raise both F# strings to G on my vertical lever, and have the first string raise to G# on another lever with the 2nd string raise and 6th string lower that Jack mentioned. I use both 1st string raises about the same. I never liked raising string 7 to G#. So you might want to consider:
1) raising 1 to G# and 7 to G.
2) Raise 1 & 7 to G# and practice only pushing the lever to get the G note (yes, it can be done).
3) And string one can be pulled up to a G using your fingers behind the bar. Not only does it work, it looks cool.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dave Chapple

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2024 6:41 am    

I've chosen to learn TIG welding and pedal steel in the same year. Am I out of my mind? Mercy mercy me. LOL.