| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel with missing fingers
Jeff Johnson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 4:24 pm    

I had a pretty serious table saw accident about a year ago and my left hand is as healed as it will get. I have some use of my thumb, index finger, ring finger and pinky, and none in my middle finger. I’m trying to figure out a way to hold my bar securely using what motion and feeling I have in the 4 digits with some feeling and function. I’m pretty sure I’ll not be able to use bar slants but it would be great to be able to play straight bar.
Does anyone know of any special devices or techniques for this kind of issue? I’m working on finger strength and right now I’m unable to keep a hold on a bar of any type, but I’ll keep at it for a while longer, but if anyone has any suggestion, no matter how weird or bizarre, I’d love to hear.
Thanks,
Misterjefferson
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 5:13 pm    

I just grabbed my bar and used my thumb and index on the one side, the middle finger on the top (basically just resting there) and the ring finger on the left side. It's not the best way to hold it, but I think it's doable.

New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 5:35 pm    

I no longer use it because I cannot get the same slants as a bullet bar, but the Shubb GS1 (https://shubb.com/product/gs-guitar-steel/) was, by far, the easiest bar to hold and control that I have tried. The wooden handle is so easy to grip, and you could probably glue fine sand paper or a tribute pad to it to improve the grip further.

Good luck. Sorry about your accident.
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 11:16 pm    

I would also recommend a Shubb bar. I've not tried the model recommended by Lloyd but I do have two others in my bar collection. Paul Franklin recommends this type of bar as a means of learning how to correctly grip a bar and I conclude it works, even after years of playing with a bullet bar. If I spend some time away from my instrument, I usually use a Shubb for a day or two to "warm up".

However, I agree with Lloyd that one cannot get the bar-slants that one can with a bullet. But I think, given your predicament, that a Shubb may train your hand to use a bullet in the future.

Good luck!

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2023 3:38 am    

I have seen (pictures of) ingenious creations that address specific issues. Some involve straps, some use velcro, some mount a finger ring to the top. Years ago, that ring thing was actually commercially available but no longer. I believe I've seen an amputee use a strap-on. I'm also recalling someone adhering a sort of butterfly wing to the top that was held between the knuckles of two fingers.
I actually have a friend who I've been mentoring who converted to southpaw, finding that limited picking was more workable than zero bar-holding. (I wouldn't wish that on anyone.)

There's a solution out there. It's just got to fit your specific circumstance.
Maybe you can come up with something from your imagination or maybe you can work with someone who can produce the workaround you need. Maybe a future responder to this post.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2023 4:38 am    

Jeff, without seeing the specifics of your situation but using your description, I was wondering if a bullet bar with indents on both ends to accommodate your ring finger and thumb, with added downward pressure from your index finger, might work. I don’t know the extent of your ability to bend your fingers, but do you think it would be possible to lightly grip an approximately 3” bar at each end? I say “lightly grip” because if you can provide some stability, your index finger supplying downward pressure would be doing most of the work. I always say that I don’t hold the bar so much as I guide it.

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2023 5:32 am    

Back in 2018 I made this for a guy who lost his arm when struck by a Tractor trailer....... He was a good guitar player, but could no longer fret. He thought this might be an option for him to still play. I'm not sure how he made out with it.

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2023 7:08 am    

I broke my left wrist 10 years ago and had a cast.
The band still had to play so I put this together:

I took a Stevens bar, adhesive, and two cable wraps with two silicone pieces to close and secure them. Worked like a champ.
Good luck,
Steve

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2023 11:38 am    

Alternatively, Ken Dale has STL files for a bullet bar "gripper." https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=387253&highlight=gripper

Ken sent me the STL file, and I printed it off at my local library's maker space. It's just a lot heavier than the shubb bar, because the shubb is only half of a bar..
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2023 10:05 am    

Jeff, if you interested in trying it but cannot get the gripper made locally, I use a lot of 3D prints for pickup parts and could get it printed for you for a small forum donation.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2023 11:51 am    

I saw a picture of a bar a few years ago that was a basic bullet bar about the size of a 10 string pedal steel bar and it had a steel ring coming out of the middle of it that could swivel. It seems like with a bar like that, you could put your index finger thru the ring and have enough control with your remaining fingers to perform slants without fumbling the bar. You could also go to a pedal steel where you could play straight bar and let your feet and knees do the "slanting" - that's what I'd probably do.

And then you got Billy Hew Len to look to for inspiration. Where there's a will,there's a way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IrSq1rOoL4