| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The VERY young Tommy Detamore
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2023 1:44 pm    

well, maybe not THAT young. Very Happy But about when I met the man, maybe mid-1980's? Tommy, you'll have to correct me here.

He was with the foremost songwriter of New Braufels TX, with George Strait hits to his name, the great Clay Blaker. I'm pretty sure Al Quaid is the bassist on this video. I don't remember the drummer or lead player, though I most certainly knew them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sd_ACu10AU

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Geoff Queen

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2023 2:26 pm    

Herb, I'm pretty sure that's John Carroll on lead guitar. Mighty fine lip syncing gentlemen!
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2023 11:39 am    

That's the Zum Tommy was playing when I met him... Smile It was a Cory Morrow gig in New Braunfels I think, not sure.. wherever it was, I was on guitar, still fairly new to steel, and I stood there with my jaw on the floor.

Definitely John Carroll on guitar, and I'm pretty sure that's John Owens on drums. I introduced myself to John by banging him on the head with a mic stand during a Cory Morrow load-in somewhere.. LOL. I reminded him of that last time I saw him, and he said "I don't remember much ever since that time I got hit in the head with a mic stand." Hah..
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2023 1:25 pm    

Geoff Queen wrote:
Herb, I'm pretty sure that's John Carroll on lead guitar. Mighty fine lip syncing gentlemen!

It's impressive the way Tommy was playing the fiddle parts on his Zum, too! That's talent!
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2023 1:54 pm    

That was 1993-1994 and about the same time I met Tommy as I was with Gary P Nunn at that time and we did a few Texas shows here and there together with Clay Blaker and band. Tommy was always so nice to the "Little Ricky Davis" on steel and was such an influence; and we have been great friends/colleges since and here we are together working on a French singer/Songwriters song together, almost 30 years later...ah....ha...

Ricky
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2023 6:07 pm    

Upon tapping the memory bank, I'm recalling that I met Tommy in the mid 80's in front of Heart O' Texas Music when TD was working with Little Bit of Texas and I was with Texas Fever. However, by 1992 I was working with Bush and IIRC Tommy was with Moe Bandy.

The TX music scene was still fun in those days.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2023 4:31 am     Tommy D....

You guys met him in and around dance halls....he and I met in a bowling alley around 1987 or 1988.