| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons RKR tuning problems
Jimmy Washington

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 5:11 am    

When lowering strings 2 and 9, the tuning screw from the 2nd string will stop the 9th from fully lowering. If I move the collar on the 2nd string to engage a little later then the 9th string will stop the second string.
Whats the proper fix for this on a push pull?

Also, this may be pertinent info, RKR raises 4 a half tone on C6.
Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 10:01 am    

Jimmy,

Try setting the collar for the 2nd string push rod first. Pre tune the string with the end plate screw for the lower, set the timing with the collar on the 2nd string push rod so the finger will stop against the pretuned endplate screw, Then go back and set the collar for the physical lever stop for the RKR so the lever stops at the same time the 2nd string bottoms out at the tuning screw at end plate. Once those are in perfect time together, go back and set up the push for the 9th string and time it out the same way as you did for the 2nd string. If the 2nd string has enough lever travel, then there should be plenty of leverage for the 9th as well. Everything should stop moving at the precise same time when set up properly. Hope that makes sense.

If that doesn’t work, you may not have a long enough compression spring on the 9th string push rod or something else crazy. It’s kinda a difficult change to set up when working as a crossover lever with the C6th. Something on that side could be throwing it out of wack too.

CS

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 8:40 pm    

Thanks Cody! Seemed to be the compression spring. I used one with 5 coils does that seem too long or too short? The way I have it set right now, it seems like a longer one might be better, but it's timing well and everything is in tune.