| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need a Double Tracking Effect -
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 7:03 am    

I want to create a "double tracked" sound for live performance. I don't have the $200 for the Keeley 30ms Double Tracker pedal, which is one of two I have seen videos/reviews on. The other is from TC Electronics, which only gets good reviews when used in stereo, which I have no intention of doing. And since this would only be used for a song or two, it's not worth the money for a dedicated pedal.

In 1983, my band was in a Nashville studio recording two songs. On one, the producer asked if I could play my parts exactly the same again. Thinking I blew it on the first take, I said "sure. I play it the same every time we do the song". So I record a second track. I had no idea what they were going to do. Turns out Sonny Garrish (the double tracking steel guitar king) was in the control room (he had a session after us) and suggested double tracking my parts. The song link is below. When I got back to California, I found a Digitech rack delay unit that had a "doubler" patch and used that for years. It finally died. Meeting Sonny was a highlight of my life as he is one of my favorite steel players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q_IIDS4QjU&ab_channel=RichardSinkler

I have heard that a delay with a short slapback time with 1 repeat will come close. I have yet too get it to sound good enough. The delayed second note sounds too much like the original. Haven't found much on the computer Google-ma-lator searchy thingie that has worked well.

I have a Zoom MS-50G. None of the delays in it have much ability to alter the second note. There is a MonoPitch pitch shifter the has a cents adjustment for the "shifted" note so I could detune it slightly to create the effect of two separate guitars, if it will allow the shifted note to be zero semitones. I think I can even add an EQ to the shifted note to make it sound different. That experiment is on my agenda today.

Has anyone successfully used a delay pedal (in mono) to create a double tracked sound? If so, would you share the secret?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 17 Sep 2023 3:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 9:17 am    

How about a basic chorus pedal? That's what they're designed to do, add a little modulation to the doubled note so it's slightly out of tune. This is Weldon Myrick just using an analog chorus: https://youtu.be/HqHR9ewH0wc?t=113

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 10:20 am    

on listening to the the track...nice btw... the doubling effect was overdone in my opinion and the 2nd tracked should have been more subtle.. That said...an Eventide H9 or similar will do that.. you need a random pitch shifting as well as the random delay.
But nothing will ever get the exact sound of two performances.

I agree with above, you may actually prefer a nice chorus instead. Stereo makes a huge difference over mono of course too.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 10:50 am    

Chorus doesn't do much for me. Not going to buy another pedal for maybe one or two songs per gig, especially not a $900 Evantide.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 10:55 am    

I'm getting close to what I am hearing in my head. I am using my MS50G, using the MonoPitch effect, set to zero pitch shift, and 20 cent fine tuning.

I am not going to buy anything or run stereo for an effect I might never use. I carry too much stuff already.
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 11:35 am    

I think you want the DigiTech Luxe. Nominally a chorus pedal, it doesn't modulate the pitch of the delayed signal but digitally transposes it by a constant amount set by one of the knobs. It's out of production but can be found used for well under $200.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 12:16 pm    

I'm NOT going to purchase anything.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 12:50 pm    

Great job Richard. Steel was very much alive and present. That doubled sounds like s chorus.
Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 2:06 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I'm NOT going to purchase anything.

For sure...there's always birthdays and Christmas gifts.. Smile

Good luck on your search. I hate buying equipment too.... dang GAS... and where are we supposed to store all these hardshell cases for all these guitars sitting around on couches and guitar stands?
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 2:42 pm    

Unless I give my dog a credit card, there's no Christmas or Birthdays for me. It's just me and her here.
Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 2:54 pm    

a wife, a dawg and a guitar... sounds like a perfect trio. Money won't buy better than that....unless the pup=dawg has taught the wife how to bark and bite!

Take care,
Chris
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 8:05 pm    

No wife. I'm officially a widower as of last month when my estranged (ex?) Wife passed. We split over 4 years ago but never divorced. It's just me and my doggie. I live on social security and what I can make playing music (not much these days).
Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 9:17 pm    

I have my current two dogs in my avatar pic...almost 200 lb between the two of them. That's after two 15lb jack Russell's who both finally passed away about 5 years ago.

I actually have almost made the same with YouTube music as my ss checks...so that's been nice recently.
At 70...I'm still turning wrenches in my self employment.
So...I stumble on.

Bless you and your pup