| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DAVID KELII
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 12:50 am    

Yesterday I listened to the only instrumental album that David Kelii recorded. David's performance of
"Whispering Lullaby" is the best one I have ever heard. IMHO!

Does anyone know which tuning David used on this recording?

Would someone please post this tune on the Forum?

Roger
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 10:22 am     King DAVID !!

Roger , I always thought David was about the best Hawaiian player I ever heard !! I listened to that record again and although David played mostly in the C-6th tuning I believe that song was in A-6th ?? He was using a T-8 Rickenbacher at that time I think and could have had several tunings available . David also recorded some instrumentals with a group "Akoni Lani" . I sent you a "P M " Eddie "C" ( the old non-pedal geezer )
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 6:36 pm    

I had that L.P. years ago and somebody ripped me off. Yes, he was a Master of harmonics.

Jerry Byrd held his playing in high esteem if that gives you any indication of the Master that David was on steel guitar.

Whispering Lullaby is probably tyhe most awesome harmonic instrumental recording I have heard.

Terry Wood
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 6:47 pm    

Terry you are 100% correct about David being The Master Of Harmonics.

Jules Ah See is another Master of Harmonics. Jules played Ca. 75 harmonics back to back on the tune "My Rose of Waikiki". Cool

Roger
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 9:08 am     David Kili

I have some recordings of his steel guitar from long ago and I to am impressed with his music, my music teacher got these recordings from him before my music teacher passed away, he gave them to me, hilo march is on one of them.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2007 11:57 am    

I think ALAN AKAKA does a superb job on "Whispering Lullaby". It's sure a beautiful song and he gets those harmonics 'bang-on' !
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2007 4:52 pm    

Here's David's arrangement and recording.
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/39dji
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2007 11:08 pm    

David is doing some very difficult harmonics with ease and he is also using a volume control effect on parts of the number. If he is using the volume control of the instrument, I marvel that he could do that simultaneously with harmonics. However, he was a virtuoso.

David Kelii plays Whispering Lullaby the best. But Herbert Hanawahine from Hawaii now Las Vegas is also very good at this number. As many steel players know, Herbert is a master of harmonics. He comes to the Winchester each year. I think I will ask him to practice up on Whispering Lullaby and play it next year.

Merry Christmas Very Happy
Don
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 12:48 am    

Hi DON,

I will have to agree with you, that David is the
No. 1 performer on "Whispering Lullaby."
I would say that Herbert comes in at a very close 2nd best performer on this tune.

Did David Kelii write this tune?

Merry Christmas Very Happy
Roger
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 2:16 am    

Where can I buy a copy of his recordings PLEASE ?
Baz
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 9:23 am    

I believe Danny Stewart wrote "Whispering Lullaby".

A good while back an Aloha Steel Guitar Club newsletter included an old photo of David standing at his triple neck Rickenbacker with his right foot resting comfortably on a volume pedal. He had a big smile on his face.
John Kuntz

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 12:00 pm     David Kelii

The Aloha International article is from Jan-Feb-March 1997. The article by Jerry Byrd states that David now uses a Rickenbacker triple neck, eight stings per neck and tunes them to E-13th, B-11th and C-6th tunings.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 1:03 pm    

Dave is correct in saying that Danny Stewart composed "Whispering Lullaby."

Danny of course was a steel guitar player, but we do not hear much about him. I have never heard him play his own composition of "Whispering Lullaby." Has anyone heard it played by him?

Some Vital Statistics:
David Kelii was
BORN: MAY 29, 1914 LAHAINA, MAUI, HAWAII
DIED: APRIL 3, 1983 MAKAHA, OAHU, HAWAII ?
INDUCTED INTO STEEL GUITAR HALL OF FAME: 1990

Merry Christmas, Very Happy
Don
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 1:41 pm    

David Kelii had a very subtle swinging rhythmic feel that kind of pulsed below the surface of even the slow numbers he played ... quite unlike any other Hawaiian player I've heard. Steel pioneer Ralph Kolsiana told me, of all the players he'd listened to over 50+ years, Kelii was his favorite.

Baz, as far as I know, David's only solo recording was a cassette done by Tom Shilstra's Maple label in the early 80s. Jerry Byrd was the producer. I don't believe it's on CD but Cumquat has a CD of Al Perry's Singing Surfriders that features Kelii:

http://www.cumquatrecords.com.au/prod78.htm

I believe he is also on some of the Hawaii Calls compilation CDs but I don't own them so don't know which ones.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 24 Dec 2007 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 2:58 pm    

It was also released onto vinyl.
Go to: hakushouse.com to view the cover. It's under Hawaiian 33 r.p.m. in the "K" section.
It's a good site to see what was available in LP's for Hawaiian music. He's got a good collection for sale, but expect to pay a high price.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 5:09 pm    

Here is my favorite version ... for what that's worth ...

http://www.horseshoemagnets.com/if10.mp3*

The harmonics ... ending into the dirge-like lamenting of the backround "groanists" ... never fails to produce chills ...

*Courtesy of Cumquat Records ... Andy Iona Vol 6. Please support their efforts ... they have a nice sale going till Dec 31 ...
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2007 5:15 pm    

I have the album on CD and also on cassette.
It is called " Hawaii's Own David Kelii "
The Selections:
How'd Ya Do, Twilight In Hawaii, Across The Sea,
Kohala March, Mapuana, Lei No Laiulani, My Isle
of Golden Dreams, Old Plantation, Hapa Haole Hula
Girl, Beautiful Kauai, Whispering Lullaby
Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 7:02 am     Re: DAVID KELII

Roger Shackelton wrote:
Yesterday I listened to the only instrumental album that David Kelii recorded. David's performance of
"Whispering Lullaby" is the best one I have ever heard. IMHO!

I agree with Roger that David's recording is the finest example of this song - both technically and emotionally (if the emotional goal was "haunting").

We've posted David Kelii's version and Andy Iona's version. Here are...

...Herb Hanawahine's version...

http://www.hawaiianmusiclives.com/radio/Whispering_Lullaby_-_Herb_Hanawahine.MP3

...and Hal Aloma's version...

http://www.hawaiianmusiclives.com/radio/Whispering_Lullaby_-_Hal_Aloma.MP3

I ran across Hal's version while putting together my radio show. He was born 100 years ago this week, so I thought it was time for a Hal Aloma revival. He doesn't kick into the harmonics until the very last chorus. But he controls the vibrato and volume marvelously.

I have a great deal of Danny Stewart material but I cannot find a version of this song by its composer.

I am featuring the 1950's this month on my program. Next week is dedicated solely to steel guitar from that decade featuring a number of rarities from Jerry Byrd, Jules Ah See, Barney Isaacs, David Kelii, Billy Hew Len, Danny Stewart, Lovey Lui Conn, and Joe Custino. The following week is dedicated to Billy Hew Len on the occasion of his birthday.

HO`OLOHE HOU RADIO - http://www.hoolohehou.net

Last edited by Bill Wynne on 6 Jan 2008 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 7:11 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
David Kelii had a very subtle swinging rhythmic feel that kind of pulsed below the surface of even the slow numbers he played ... quite unlike any other Hawaiian player I've heard. Steel pioneer Ralph Kolsiana told me, of all the players he'd listened to over 50+ years, Kelii was his favorite.

Oops! I almost forgot. We were talking about David Kelii and I wanted to throw this sound clip out for your amusement. This is from the February 16, 1952 Hawaii Calls broadcast. It features David Kelii performing "Moana Chimes." But listen to what he does beforehand - a number of sound effects that reprove that David was the master of the instrument.

http://www.hawaiianmusiclives.com/radio/David_Kelii_-_Moana_Chimes_-_Hawaii_Calls_-_2-16-52.MP3

I apologize for the sound quality. This tape is over 50 years old. If you hear what you think is record surface noise, you're right. The radio broadcasts were recorded and pressed to disc for distribution to radio stations around the country. Yes, "live from the beach at Waikiki," indeed.

HO`OLOHE HOU RADIO - http://www.hoolohehou.net
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2008 6:04 pm    

Bill, thanx for posting that cut of Moana Chimes, quite possibly the best version I've ever heard.
Hard to top David, and many of the greats used him as their template.
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2023 8:35 am    

I'd like to track down and purchase a copy of Hawaii's Own David Kelii. Does anyone have or know of a copy? Preferably on CD. Or even a link to it on youtube or another site? I've only been able o find Whispering Lullaby. In particular I'd like to find Beautiful Kauai.

Thanks!
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2023 11:06 am    

Joe Burke wrote:
I'd like to track down and purchase a copy of Hawaii's Own David Kelii. Does anyone have or know of a copy? Preferably on CD. Or even a link to it on youtube or another site? I've only been able o find Whispering Lullaby. In particular I'd like to find Beautiful Kauai.

Thanks!

I don't have it, but I can't plug this site enough if you are after rare or out of print recordings:
https://www.discogs.com/master/1807845-David-Kelii-Hawaiis-Own-The-Supreme-Genius-Of-The-Steel-Guitar

Old (sometimes very cheap...this music was once very popular, now less so) albums plus a turntable with a USB feature allowing me to easily "rip" them into MP3 format (well, kind of easily...I still have to trim and name each track) have helped me build out a pretty good collection.
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2023 1:42 pm    

Thanks Nic - and ordered! Now to find a turntable. This could get dangerous...