| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picking issue, incidental string contact
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2023 7:23 pm    

I’ve got a problem with the top/right edge of my fingertip (see area circled in photo) brushing against or grabbing the string above strings plucked with my middle finger. It doesn’t happen all the time but it happens enough to be problematic. Sometimes the already short nail grabs it, sometimes the skin.

I’ve adjusted my picks every way I can think of - farther back on the fingertip, farther toward the edge to where they don’t feel secure, curled up, less of a curve (better but not great). I’ve tried different picks to no avail.

I’m positioning my right hand as explained in Jeff Newman’s Right Hand Alpha (at least I think I am!) If I try holding my hand so it’s less inclined with respect to the plane of the strings it helps but makes palm muting difficult. Same if I pull the hand back toward me with respect to the string being picked so the fingers curl under less.

Any ideas? I have to assume this is a technique issue and that there is nothing unique about the anatomy of my hand, but I feel a bit stuck.

Philip Mitrakos

The Beach South East Florida
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2023 8:55 pm    

Last edited by Philip Mitrakos on 10 Nov 2023 9:02 am; edited 3 times in total
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 4:25 am    

Well, typically I don’t have them curved that much, TBH. I’ve been trying them that way recently. Doesn’t help my problem. Maybe it’s a little bit worse. I tried the Dunlop years ago and had the problem that Jeff mentioned. And they hurt like hell. The Acri are very comfortable. I’m also trying some Pro-piks that are fairly comfy.

I’m not sure if a fuller thumb pick would make a difference with the issue I’m having but maybe worth a try. I tried Hercos but found them uncomfortable. Maybe time to try some others.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 12:05 pm    

That is my exact pick setup, Mr. Scheindlin. I configure the Acri’s a little differently and move them further down to almost past the first joint. Same with the Fred Kelly thumb pick. I *love* this pick combination.

Everyone’s anatomy is different, and this arrangement may not be for everyone. If you like it enough, give it a fair length of time to get used to them.

If your fingertip flesh or nail is accidentally hitting strings as you pick, then your fingers are dropping too far below the plane of the strings during the pick attack. That just takes focused practice and maybe an adjustment of the pick or the default angle of your hand to the plane of the strings.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 12:37 pm    

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 3:37 pm    

This happens to me sometimes too. The two things that have helped are more focused practice on right hand accuracy, and giving a very slight lateral twist to the finger pick on my middle finger. That seems to help the meat of the pick land in the right spot, for me.

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 3:56 pm     finger pick issue

Try a set of Nationals, I have tried Dunlop. Don't care for Dunlop, hate the wing style of the bands. Nationals have a nice narrow band and wont hang up on each other. But to each his own. Those picks are way to bulky and big. Try Nationals and put them on with about 3/16-1/4 inch of a gap from the tip of your finger to the tip of the pick. I am missing the tip of my right index finger, so I use the middle and ring fingers Cool Joe Wright explains the proper use of finger picks in his 2007 video seminars on You Tube! A big part of your tone is in how you wear your picks.
Bob Sigafoos

San Clemente, Calif. , U.S.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 4:33 pm     Angle of dangle

Hi Dan, from your pix I see you have a sort of eagle talon type of posture for your right hand. Perhaps imagining a golf ball in your hand to get a more downward attack on your fingerpicks might be needed. Keep your right forearm as perpendicular as practical to the strings if possible.
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 5:33 pm    

Thanks guys. All helpful input. I have been spending more time focusing on my right hand technique so I think it’s bubbling this issue up to the surface for me and I’m probably getting a little hung up on it. In any case I do think some of this is technique as some have mentioned and not getting my finger too far below the plane of the strings. Some of it is probably additional work needed on my hand shape (maybe I will put a REAL golf ball in there! Very Happy ). And maybe some is just finding the pick shape that works best for me. I’ve typically used a shape like Richard’s, and I guess it seems like almost everyone I see has the picks curled up more. So I felt like I was doing it wrong. But that just doesn’t work for me. This afternoon I took them back to my typical shape and then just went a little farther and that seems to work very well. But clearly there are a few variables and I need to keep working on it. Thanks!
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 5:35 pm    

Oh and I also think the idea of a slight lateral twist makes a ton of sense!
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 7:19 pm    

My picks are close to the fingertips like Freds. But I do use Dunlops and give that slight twist so they are not centered. I also use the Fred Kelly speed thumbpicks.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 9:19 pm    

Had sort of the same problem. Pick wrappers catching on other strings.

The short thumb picks make your hand placed closer to the strings. I wondered about (Mr. Nashville) Lloyd Green using those big long bladed picks.

I got a couple long bladed Dunlop picks, Start long and trim the blade, No, The longer blade allowed me to raise my hand, And open the curl in my fingers up. Ended the problem.

Working with Big Animals, Metal and Boats my right hand has been damaged many times. I have to fit my finger picks very smooth, Or 1 pick will catch the other pick and make 1 pick go flying.

Good Luck finding a cure, Happy Steelin.
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2023 6:37 am    

Good insight, Bobby, thanks. Hope you’re doing well.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 4:13 am    

Bobby, what Dunlop pick are you using?
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 8:34 pm    

Larry
The pick just has Dunlop XL on it.
I put a piece of 3M Stair Edge Safety Strip on the flat inside of the pick, The pick is not tight, But will not move on thumb.
Rub the strip on something hard to break long sharp points off. Or could hurt your thumb.
I have pictures, But for some reason my computer will not down load pictures from my camera card to my computer.